Tuesday, June 1, 2010

June 1st - 5 Thoughts

1. Ubaldo Jimenez
This guy is unreal. 10 wins, tons of K's, an ERA under 1...and he throws 97-100. Buster Olney tweeted some numbers on how much his ball runs - it's one of the nastiest movers in the game, plus it's coming 97-100. This should be illegal.

*June baseball update coming later today*

2. Sam Maresh
Well, it's officially over for this guy. Apparently in between getting busted for booze multiple times, Sam wasn't spending his time in the classroom. He's flunking out and transferring to a JC. Pretty ridiculous. Wonder how Brew feels about making this kid the face of the school before he even had set foot on campus. The good news out of this is that we are extremely deep at LB, and this almost 100% guarantees that Tinsley will be back without missing any time. Also, Sid is reporting that Brandon Beal, a stud LB at FLORIDA, is transferring to the U and will be eligible in 2011. Rankings wise, Beal would be a even higher profile recruit than Maresh, so I'll call it a good trade if it turns out that way.

3. World Cup Fever!
I'm kind of getting excited for the World Cup. I watched the USA-Turkey game, and it was genuinely interesting. Plus I got a free $10 bet on Bodog, so I took England at 7:1 to win the whole thing. In looking at some of the weird lines for the first matches, I think I might be betting a lot on the World Cup - I can't do any worse than I have been in MLB!!! The magic is gone. I don't think I've won $$$ on MLB in about a month.

4. College Football Season
June 8th is the official date of release for the Phil Steele 2010 College Football Preview - if you're looking for a bible for the upcoming season, this is what you need.

5. Gopher Baseball
It's always nice to win the B10 tourney, but to do it with a 15-5 schellacking of the Hogeyes makes it extra sweet. Now we move on the play Cal St. Fullerton (again!) at 10pm on Friday night. I'm hoping to find it on ESPNU or B10 or something. Not giving my guys much of a chance, but stranger things have happened. I don't know if they have the depth to come out on top in the double elimination regional, but shocking Fullerton in the opener would sure help!


I'm at about 12 for golf with a couple of tentatives thrown in there. I also came up with the brilliant plan of stopping at this little towny bar called Floyd's on our way back to my place after golf so everyone can eat there and have a beer and we'll do all of the payouts. This prevents us from figuring out the food issues back at my place and saves the chaos of eating while throwing cards around while trying not to create a huge mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment