Tuesday, June 8, 2010

5 Thoughts - Tuesday June 8th

1. CSF-GOPHERS
I didn't make it through the entire thing, but I saw the result this morning and it ended just as I had expected. Too much offense on CSF, especially without our squad having an elite P on the mound like we did in Game 1. It was a great run with a disappointing finish, but the team is extremely young and should be back in the same spot next season.

2. NBA FINALS
I'm still all over the Celtics on this one. I've said it before, but I even surprise myself sometimes by how into the NBA I am right now. Maybe it's because I have switched to listening to more ESPN Radio and they talk NBA all the time, but the last month or so the Playoffs have been can't miss TV for me. I think BOS just has the better overall squad and they play better D. It will likely be a 7 game series, but BOS at -2.5 tonight is my play.

3. IZZO
Speaking of the NBA, how about the Izzo to CLE rumors. Now I have to believe the GM/Owner for CLE is doing on the recommendation of LBJ, but I really question the choice. Izzo is an unreal NCAA coach, maybe one of the Top 5 ever, but why do teams continue to think that means he'll be a $9M/yr great NBA coach? The track record is not impressive for this kind of jump. Just off the top of my head I am coming up with Pitino, Calipari, Montgomery, Krueger, and there's probably a lot of other ones...but all of these have been horrible. LBJ is becoming more and more like KG with his running of the team and making terrible choices. Maybe next LBJ will be calling up T-Hud to come and run beside him...if he can deal with the stress of both worlds.

4. STRASBURG
If you haven't heard, I'm sure you will if you're anywhere near a TV or radio today. The phenom is making his debut against PIT tonight, and the WAS fans are actually going to come to the game! I'm not sure if they've started engraving the hall of fame plaque yet, but after he dominates the mighty Pirates today ESPN will probably have you thinking that they should. It's a young pitcher, he can have all the potential in the world (Mark Prior) and suffer an injury tomorrow and be worthless. He's dominated the minor leagues, wow...congratulations. I just refuse to buy in until I get a good look at him. His 1st trip around the league might be really tough, but the 2nd and 3rd trips could be a little tricky. Don't get me wrong, he has all the tools, but just relax a bit and let the guy prove his worth. I feel like anything less than a perfect game is a disappointment tonight.

5. WORLD CUP
The countdown is on for the start of the World Cup - it's the one month every 4 years that I actually try to get informed and watch some soccer. What I haven't ever done or figured out yet is the betting on this stuff. So I started some research on the different groups yesterday, and I see a Group A game on Friday between FRANCE and URUGUAY. By all indication, this is a huge mismatch with the group favorite against a team that probably shouldn't even be there. So I went to check the betting options on this and I can get France for EVEN to win the match! Now I understand that there is a propensity for ties in the soccer world, but you have the best team vs. the worst team in a group and I can pick the favorite for EVEN money?!? I think I might be making a lot of World Cup bets if they all are this easy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment