Monday, April 5, 2010

Busiest Sports Day of the Year

Some random thoughts about what's happening today and the past week or so...

1. Baseball season!
Finally. We have to wait until late tonight to watch the Twinkies, but it's a nice all day marathon of baseball today starting early. JG and I had our fantasy draft last week, it went okay. I may feel differently in about 2-3 weeks, but I like my team enough to expect a playoff run. The day after that one I had another auction draft on line and it was chaos. 1/2 the people didn't show, so the robot bidder was going nuts betting crazy high numbers on every player out there. And you had only a few seconds to nominate a guy or bid on a guy - once the clock ran out on you it turned the draft robot on automatically...so I got Matt Holliday for a small fortune and Scott Kazmir for another large sum. We'll see what happens with this league, it's free so nothing to lose but I might lose interest fast.

2. NCAA Title Game
Duke -7.5 is the line I'm seeing. If Howard doesn't play at all or sparingly Butler will probably get killed. If MSU shoots the ball well at all they crush on Saturday. The officiating in that game was horrible - looked like Sparty football much more than Basketball. I'm making no pick in this one until I hear the report on Howard. If he plays they should be able to cover the large spread, if not they might get smoked. Either way...very unlikely I watch much of this tonight.

3. Masters!!
Tiger presser today, tourney starts on Thursday...Spring is officially here. I've heard so many mixed opinions on Tigger, but I can't see him doing extremely well. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but I'd be delighted with a +10 82 on Thursday out of him! Anyway, I put down huge $1 bets on about 10 guys to win, almost all with odds of 40:1 or worse. I'll list them all here on Thursday, but I'm not giving my secrets away too early in the week. If you're looking for some fun bets there are about 100 Tigger Prop bets you can jump on - check out Bodog and make it happen.

4. GOLF!
Played Deer Run on WED and fired an 85 to start the year w/4 Birdies...not a bad start to the year. 4 penalty shots knocked me down even more, but I was very happy with the opening day performance. Trying to map out my next round already, we'll see...hopefully the weather stays nice and the game does too! I'm starting to look at May dates for the all day Golf/Cards festival at my place...I'll let you all know when that will be. I'm thinking a Saturday is most likely...18 or 27 holes in the morning afternoon and cards all night.

5. Gophers
Not a ton of news still from Spring camp. Sounds like the LB's have been impressing and all 3 QB's are playing okay. Duane Bennett apparently suffered a concussion, I'm not counting on him for anything this season. I think he'll be outplayed by the freshman and be too much of an injury liability going forward. Not much conversation around the OL play - it's the area that needs the most improvement to have a better season. Kyle Theret DWI...nice. Let's hope that's the last bit of news like that to come out of camp. 19 days until the Spring Game!!

Did you know D.McNabb got traded!?? I figured MLB Opening Day would get glossed over, but DMc trade is even dominating over the Tigger presser conversation this morning. Who would have thunk it? Not sure I'm a huge believer in Kevin Kolb to lead the Eagles, but I'm not ready to put the Skins in the Super Bowl either. These 2 teams still should finish out of the playoffs in my opinion (keep in mind it's APR and the season is only 5 months away!).

No comments:

Post a Comment