Thursday, April 22, 2010

NFL Draft Night

Draft day wouldn't be complete without some kind of commentary or mock draft writeup, so I'll throw together a little of both here for today but keep it to 5 points...need to find a good name for my daily 5 lists...send me a suggestion if you have it.


1. QB's
Taking a QB is a crap shoot, and personally I don't see one sure thing in the mix this season. Bradford has a lot of questions at the top, I really don't think Clausen is NFL level, Tebow is not a QB, and there's a bunch of others that might have some value later in the draft. The guy I like the most is probably Colt McCoy. Character-wise he's a Tebow-lite, I don't think he's performed any circumcisions in foreign countries, but other than that he's got all the same leader qualities. And get this - he can really throw and run and projects to actually be a QB in the NFL. I don't really like him at 30, but I think if you can move to mid-2nd and grab him it would be worth it.

2. PURPLE
What do I think will happen? Well, I think they don't take a QB in R1. If they stay in there and pick someone I would like help at DB (CB and/or S), LB depth, OL depth, backup RB (although I'd like to grab this in R2 or R3), or DT depth. I fully believe in the "best player available" cliche, but please don't take TEBOW or CLAUSEN if they are available at 30. Official prediction...keep the pick and take Chris Cook CB VIR.

3. Local Fellas
I've looked through a couple today, both have the great Bryan Bulaga in the Top 5. Remember the last can't miss Hogeye OL prospect? The great Robert Gallery...I know he went to a horrible franchise, but that just hasn't worked out well. I'm hoping Bulaga fails miserably the same way. Beyond that, it looks like EDECK will be a late 2nd or early 3rd guy. I'm sure he'll go to a good team and be a contributor on a playoff caliber club this season...the typical white guy WR path. Cedric McKinley is supposedly hoping to be picked, hope you're not holding your breath big guy. Triplett is on the radar as the 14th best ILB on one site - he'll be a FA. Simoni will also likely end up as a FA.

4. 6:30 - ???
10 minutes per pick, 32 picks tonight, we pick 30th...how late am I going to have to stay up in order to actually see WTF is going to happen tonight?

I'm guessing 11:02pm the pick will be made...Chris Cook, that's my call.

5. Trades
Of course there is all the trade speculation leading up to the draft like there is every year. Anything worth it for the Purple??? Well, probably not. The team is set for the most part, but we are missing just a few guys to provide some depth and/or be a minor contributor for 2010. I'm guessing if any deals happen with the Purple it is to move out of R1 or up in a later round to grab a guy they love.

Finally - some names I like and wouldn't mind getting in Purple:

Dexter McCluster - RB OLE MISS
Taylor Mays - S USC
Corey Wooton - DE NORTHWESTERN
Eric Norwood - OLB South Carolina
Sean Weatherspoon - OLB MIZZOU

That's all I got - enjoy the festivities!

No comments:

Post a Comment