Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Rain!!

It's raining at Target Field and people are cheering, weird but kind of cool I guess. I went on Monday - it was amazing. Our seats were not great, but we didn't sit there long. There are 2 public bars in the middle deck right behind home plate - $7.50 beers and an open window to the field...i think it's the perfect spot to sit for any future guy's Target Field outings. Buy a nosebleed and save your money for the bar...it's a beautiful thing. Also I would highly recommend the Murry's Steak Sandwich...good stuff. Beats the hell out of the Dome Dogs!!

What else is happening right now...well, here you go:

1. The golf/cards outing is likely going to be in June. May is stupid busy, so I'll probably be pushing it out so we can be guaranteed some warm weather for the day. I'll keep exploring and get something out there soon.

2. Hockey Playoffs
Who knew the playoffs started today? Not I. I feel like I have to pick a few of these to keep it interesting and because Baseball betting is just getting too easy (more on that below). But instead of taking a side, I think I'll go back to the JG route and bet some totals (O/U) on some of these games. Then I'm not sweating out double and triple OT's in the middle of the night. Now keep in mind I follow hockey about as close as I followed the Women's NCAA Tourney, so these might be way off base but I'm going to at least give it a try. I hate betting against PITT, but I think OTT at +210 might be a nice choice for a few bucks. How about PHOE at +100 as a home dog against DET? I hate betting on the first game of a series, I'd prefer to actually see how these teams come out and bet future games...but I'll probably try these 2 tonight. Any hockey experts out there? Let me know what you think.

3. MLB Bets
So I started the season losing 3 of 4 on opening day....then rattled off 16 of 17 including a 5-1 performance on Monday before going 0-2 last night. I've got 3 more plays today...some of these are just so obvious you have to pick them. David Price and a good Rays team at a horrible BAL team and Bergesen? Are you kidding? It is baseball and anything can happen, but bet on good pitchers all year and bet against bad teams and you can come out ahead...I promise. Today: RAYS, CARDS, MARLINS, DET, PHILLY.

4. GOPHERS
First, some hoops news, we've signed Maurice Walker a 6'11" 290 lbs C, ranked 12th in the incoming class among all C's...not bad. More bulk in the middle is a great thing. We're still holding out hope for Cory Joseph, should hear something this week.

Now on to the good stuff...Brew Ball 2010-11.
So first the bad news, Bryant Allen tore up his ankle in the scrimmage last Saturday but sounds like he could be ready for Summer camp. Kim Royston broke his leg in multiple places and there are conflicting reports about when he could be back. Some are speculating he can start working out again in late Summer, but I have a hard time believing we'll see him again this year...which leaves 1 and possibly 2 gaping holes at S and would give us 11 new starters on D...in case you're wondering that's everyone. Theret is still indefinitely suspended, but will likely be back for Summer camp and the season. So who fills in? JUCO Christyn Lewis is a likely candidate, which would leave us with Collado probably starting at CB. James Manuel, a true Frosh, might get a chance. He's a pretty highly touted prospect so he might get the chance to step up this summer. Watkins is already taking Theret's place, but when Kyle returns he could stay in the lineup if he impresses. Bottom line - we have a lot to work through in the secondary.

Maresh is another story from camp, and not a good one. Apparently he's had 4 minors and/or run-in's with the law in the last few weeks...4! The guy has such a nice story, but I've heard some speculation about how he's a jack-ass and doesn't seem to be taking this thing seriously. He has no guarantees for PT this season, so I'd suggest he take his second chance at life and football and go with it. I really couldn't care less about the boozing, just be smart enough to not get caught and in trouble with the po-po...like all the rest of us were in college. Seriously, you have to really be a dope to get all of this attention from the cops and be caught 4 different times. At least we have a ton of LB depth so we aren't counting on this guy for much. Hopefully he cleans it up and contributes...but I'm not holding my breath.

Offensively, I think I'm convinced that AWEB will be our QB this season...at least for the opener on Thursday 9/2. I very much disagree with the "move Gray to WR" thinking...you still have to give the guy a chance to be the QB. Either he or Alipate will take over next year and then we can discuss a change. Heard Horton on PA the other day, and I have to say I'm very happy by the way this guy talks. Very simple scheme, running the ball and play-action throwing over the top...my kind of offense and a very nice B10 plan. Let's hope they can figure out the whole "run the ball" thing this season, if they do I think we'll be over .500 this season. I really don't think the starting RB(s) are on campus yet - the 3 freshman will be the best talent we have considering Bennett and Eskridge are average at best. I think any of the 3 freshman could be the man this season, probably using multiple backs depending on the situation. Bennett and Eskridge can be the passing down backs while one or more of the freshman will take over the every down role and goal line roles.

I could ramble for days about my Gopher football thoughts on 2010, but I'll spare you...for now. It's only APR folks...Spring Game is 10 days away...be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment