Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Random Thoughts

So, I'm a little bored at work...here we go.

1. JEDD FISCH
I guess this is the 99% sure new OC for the Gophers. I like the hire, not that I'm claiming to know a ton about this guy, but he's a fresh new face with some good experience and what sounds like some creative ideas. I like this much better than some retread from another school...if Shanahan recommends the guy, he's probably got a chance. How fun would it be to come out in 2009 and see the Gophers score about 30+ on a weekly basis?!? I think the weapons will be there to make some good things happen on offense. They needed to make changes, and I think they've gone the right direction. Adding Davis as a running game coordinator should address that issue - as well as getting a couple of new big-time tackles and a deep healthy stable of good RB's. The passing offense needed a spark, so hopefully Fisch will be that spark. Taking more shots down field, actually trying to get big plays and gain more than 5-8 yards with each completion would be a start. Also taking advantage of some of the diversity they have, like we saw early in the Bowl game with KAN...lots of new speed and size to work with so I think things will defintiely be better. The OL will be more experienced and have some better players, so that is where it all needs to start. I'm hoping to see some major improvements by the Spring Game.

2. BIG 10...SHOULD ADD ANOTHER?
This topic has come up numerous times ever since Penn State joined back in 1994 (i think). The obvious choice is ND, but I don't see them ever agreeing to this. I would love to add a 12th team and create an SEC/B12 type situation with divisions and championship games. Other options include: PITT, CIN, any MAC school...

For simplicity, I'll use ND (although I think this is very unlikely)...here's what we'd be looking at:

For the GOPHERS, you'd have to keep IOWA, WIS, and probably MICH/MSU in a North Division

In the South, OSU, IND, PUR, ILL, NW, ND...which would leave PSU in the North I guess.

The purists would say, but what about the MICH:OHIOST rivalry, how could you ensure it without being in the same division. Each team could have 5 inter-division games, then 3 out of division games. One of those could be with a "rival" every year.

Just a thought, I'd love to see it, but I don't expect it anytime soon.


3. BIG BOOK OF NCAA BETTING RULES
So maybe I'm a complete rube or tool, but I'm working this off-season to compile a book of rules (similar to Simmons' Playoff Manifesto) for betting on NCAA Football. It's in the infant phase, but I hoping to come up with something to prevent me from going through that painstaking task of making emotional decisions every week. Ideally, this will make bets and predictions much easier and hopefully more successful in the future seasons. If you guys have any hypothesises or theories, please let me know and I'll do some investigating to see how valid it is. I'll publish a first draft as we get closer to the summer, but let me know if you have any help/advice that you believe will hold true and is worthy of being a rule.

4. USC v. GOPHERS? WTF?
Maybe just a rumor right now, but it sounds pretty valid. We are trying to get a home and home with the mighty Trojans to play AT LEAST 2x from 2011-2016. Yikes. Well, it will be quite the barometer for our favorite team assuming we continue to get better and keep ascending up the ladder. Who knows, maybe Pete Carroll will be coaching the LA Vikings by that point and USC will be back down to the John Robinson years type of team. How fricking pumped would you be to watch an early September game at TCF...#1 USC at #20 GOPHERS 7pm primetime ABC. oh, goosebumps....until we struggle through a 47-10 L...but it's not happening tomorrow so we could/should be a competitve team by that point.

Hmmm, what else....

5. JON GRUDEN to ND
This makes way too much sense to not have it happen. Weis blows, this is obvious; Gruden has ties to ND and would be an amazing college coach (in my opinion). If you're a ND hater, which I am, you better hope this doesn't happen. They only have the talent right now...but if they actually had a competant coach - could be scary.

6. SUPER BOWL
Don't forget to send me your picks for the big (yawn) game. Pick a winner and answer the 6 bonus quetsions for tie breakers. 2 picks are in, one for each team...our 2 leaders are holding out, but I'll need picks by game time on Feb 1st.

NCAA PICKS - please send me these as well as soon as you have them. JG/MK get me both weeks before your 7 day bender in lovely Jamaica...bastards.

That's all I got - as always, please post your thoughts on the board if you have a free minute or something you just need to discuss.

233 days until the opening of TCF...too soon to start a tailgate party?

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment