Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Dunbar...DEAD

It's over, what was your favorite Mike Dunbar moment in his 2 years of running the Gopher Offense. Do you have one? Not sure if I do. I like the spread, but this guy's version seemed to suck pretty bad. Especially when you see other teams running the spread with less athletes than we have and scoring 30+ on a weekly basis. No running game, no real deep threat on passing plays = bad offense. We were ranked 91st overall in offense this year - not enough to get it done.

So who's next? Speculation that the new OL coach Davis might be moved up to the big chair. He has a grind it out philosophy, which sounds a little like Mason Ball to me. My guess is that Brew does a big search and finds someone who has a much different (better!) version of the spread. I really think we have some guys in place on offense, but the scheme sucked.

I don't think it's likely that we grab a guy from a big-name school, but maybe someone from a smaller school that's creative enough to light a fire in TCF Stadium. I'm sure lots of names will be popping up over the next few days, and I expect someone to be in place by mid-January.

We'll see, Brew did a nice job with DC #2 (Roof over Withers) so let's hope we can do the same with OC#2.

Overall, it's the right move and I'm happy about it. Let's hope we find a diamond in the rough and sport a much-improved offense next year.

Go Gophers!

No comments:

Post a Comment