Thursday, December 2, 2010

Week 14 Picks

The final Saturday of the NCAA Season...that's the bad news.

The Good News - Bowl Game Challenge is right around the corner!!

Today's fun Gopher coaching rumors -
1) Maturi on a private plane to Philly...presumably for Al Golden
2) Maturi on a private plane to Arizona...to pick up Mike Stoops for intro after tonight's game
3) Chris Petersen of BOISE is our guy...no mention of him, the secret guy behind the smokescreens

I like #3 the best. Golden....I wouldn't be down on that hire, but Petersen would rock! I really don't want anything to do with Mike Stoops, way too angry for me, and not really a great coach.

Anyway, on to the picks...doesn't it kind of feel like we just started this thing and now the NCAA is wrapping it up already? Kind of sad.

JR: AZ, NILL, SMU, LT, AUB, WASU, FSU, OK, UCLA, HAW
JG: AZ, WV, UTST, ORE, AUB, IDAHO, WASH, FSU, OK, USC
MR: ASU, NILL, FRES, CIN, LT, ORE, AUB, MDTN, UCONN, OK
AW: AZ, WV, PITT, FAU, AUB, SJST, FIU, VT, USF, OK
GR: AZ, ILL, RUT, CIN, BOISE, ORE, AUB, FSU, OK, USC
MH: AZ, ILL, PITT, LT, ORE, SC, WASH, VT, OK, UCLA
MC: NILL, WV, FAU, BOISE, LT, ORE, SC, FIU, VT, HAW
SS: AZ, ILL, WV, BOISE, NEV, AUB, VT, OK, UCLA, HAW
RO: AZ, RUT, PITT, OREST, AUB, IDAHO, WASH, VT, OK, USC

NFL
JR: PHI, WAS, BUF, OAK, NE
JG: HOU, WAS, DEN, SF, OAK
MR: WAS, KC, SF, BUF, CIN
AW: HOU, CLE, KC, GB, ATL
GR: DET, KC, ATL, BAL, NE
MH: CLE, GB, ATL, IND, NE
MC: BUF, OAK, TB, IND, BAL
SS: BUF, SD, ATL, SEA, BAL
RO: DET, ATL, STL, BAL, NE

Last full week of games for the regular season Football Challenge in 2010. I think I've got a quick predictions segment in me...

NCAA
ASU-AZ
Really not a good feeling either way on this one, but had to include it because ASU is dumb. They are 5-6, presumably playing for a Bowl Game tonight...but wait, they scheduled 2 1AA opponents this year, so unless there aren't enough "bowl eligible" teams, they will not be bowling regardless what happens tonight. How brutal is that? Why I like Zona? Well, ASU is coming off a route over UCLA, and they aren't very good, and it's a rivalry game on the road. Zona got routed by ORE and I think Mike Stoops is still angry (hopefully not angry enough to take the Gophs job) but I have to believe they cover less than a TD at home against an inferior rival.

SMU-UCF
I like SMU to cover the 9.5. They are a crazy June Jones offense that tries to score 50/game and UCF is a grinder that hopes to win 24-21 every week by playing D and running the ball. I just think UCF has had it too easy all year and SMU might catch them here with a sneaky W and very likely a cover. I'm kind of shocked that I'm the only one on this game on Saturday.

UTST-BOISE
I would go Aggies on this one. Why? Well, Boise is totally deflated and Chris Petersen will inform the team of his intentions to go to MN instead of the always interesting Humanitarian Bowl starting on Sunday. Sorry Boise, you had your chance and you blew it badly. How about this tweet from Marqueis..."where is Chris at?" he wasn't talking about Petersen, or so he says, but I think it's good karma.

NEV-LT
NEV giving 12.5 on the road with a chance to clinch the WAC after winning the "biggest game in the history of the program". Wow...no chance. They may find a way to win, but this will be anything but a route. I like LATech.

ORE-OREST
Probably the greatest rivalry name ever...The Civil War...how f*cking awesome is that?!? Sadly, I don't think OREST has near enough firepower to match the 70 that ORE will likely put up...so this one, even at 16.5, has to go the way of the Green to set up a Nat'l Title Showdown with....

AUB-SC
Nope, I won't do it. I will never bet against Cam Newton until he is ruled ineligible and not playing anymore. The guy is too good and just will not lose. I'm telling you right now, I'll take AUB over ORE in the NC game, and I'll probably be getting points as well. Let's just hope the QB is still around to play at that point. Oh yeah, they need to beat SC...I think that will be an afterthought. Imagine this, it will be close early, Spurrier will have the Cocks flying around stopping the run on D for the 1st quarter or even the 1st half....but they play 2 halves. And H2 belong to AUB and Cam Newton...AUB wins and covers 28-17.

WASH-WASU
2 bad teams. I know WASH is playing for bowl eligibility, but really would you pick them to win on the road? I'm not even talking about a cover...do you think they can win? WASU is not the horrible mess that is had been the past 2 years, they even won a conference game this year! Woo-hoo! I think this is extremely close and I'll even call for a WASU W on a last second FG. Apple Cup winner and even more importantly, keeping Locker out of a bowl for the 4th straight year. Heisman...whatever.

FSU-VT
Really tough time with this one. Both teams have played very well all year long. Each with a couple of very close losses, and some weird wins the last few weeks in which they haven't played great. I'm taking points and the Noles, even though I HATE picking against VT. Don't trust me on this one? Flip a coin and decide for yourself.

NEB-OK
I love OK and I love them BIG. As does everyone else except MC, who has no opinion. This could spell doom and gloom for the Sooners, but I just can't see NEB making a stand. OK will score on the feared "black-shirt" defense who are actually not that frightening. NEB has QB issues, Martinez is apparently a friendless prima donna that nobody likes, but he's the only guy on the offense that can make it work. He's also fighting injuries so I really can't see him being that effective. But the over-arching rule of thumb and ultimate decision maker in this game is this: NEB is leaving the B12 after this game, so how in the hell could the B12 let them win? The answer is that they can't. NEB will get hosed in every possible situation and OK will carry on the good name of the B12. OK 33-17.

USC-UCLA
USC's bowl game! Kind of like the Gophs bowl game last week. Only problem is, this is on the road against a rival who has been trying to catch you for about 10 years. I think USC is the IOWA in this scenario and UCLA is the fightin' Gophs. UCLA also lost by 900 points last week, which can only help to motivate them. I'll take Bruins + points, but I would consider the $ line on this one as well.

UNLV-HAW
Like always, the final full week of NCAA football ends in HAW with an ugly route. Last season is was Becky housing HAW 953-2, this year the Vegas kids fly to HAW for their "bowl game" and they will totally mail it in just like they have done every week on the road this year. I guess if I went to Vegas for school then I would be pissed to play on the road as well. HAW might score 80...and they cover. HAW 79-31.

That's it for the NCAA...except of course for the ARMY-NAVY game, which we'll all be forced to bet on next week...it's tradition. And it should actually be close this year!

NFL
PHI-HOU
Love, love, love PHI tonight. HOU is shitty, and the whole world is off the PHI bandwagon with the CHI loss...which is why it's the perfect time to pick them! A nice cool night in PHI on a short week is not exactly what HOU was looking for and this one will be over quickly. PHI 34-13

Still no JAC-TEN line, but I'm going with the crappy TEN club and that old drunk Kerry Collins.

WAS-NYG
8.5 in a rivalry game with 2 teams not playing well? Have to take points here.

CLE-MIA
Had CLE marked all week, just read that Del Homme is probably starting and I switched it for about 10 minutes then went back. Yep, I'm trusting JDH to win this mofo. These 2 teams are pretty much identical so I'm taking points and 2 JDH TD's!!

CHI-DET
Drew Stanton. I want to pick DET soooo bad, but Drew Stanton? I can't do it. BEARS it is.

DEN-KC
Torn on this one. DEN looked so bad at times last week but it's another rivalry game with a large line of 8. KC played well last week, but this one ended in controversy last time which left a sour taste in Haley's mouth and I think he might be in for some retaliation. KC with a small cover - terrible game to bet.

SF-GB
11 points is quite a bit against a club like SF who has been playing better. I've been on both sides of this one throughout the week but I think I'll settle on the 49ers being too good to get blown out.

NO-CIN
CIN is done. I said it 3 weeks ago, and they've shown me nothing to change my mind. NO rolls.

OAK-SD
Now this is the ultimate over-reaction line from Vegas...13.5!! This is one of the largest lines of the year and SD is not the best team in the league and OAK is not the worst team in the league! It's a rivalry game, 13.5 is ridiculous!! I HAVE to take OAK here and expect something closer than a 2 TD spread.

ATL-TB
I like the BUCS. They are a good team and ATL has too much love right now. They are looking at that slate and putting it into coast mode for the playoff run so I think TB wins this one straight up.

CAR-SEA
God, what a horrible game. If anyone actually watches this one, wow...you have to find a hobby. Tony Pike leads the mighty Panthers, who fired their last bullet last week, into SEA against a pathetic SEA team that's only 1 game out of 1st!! SEA should be able to handle this at home and cover.

DAL-IND
INDY getting embarassed makes me love them this week. DAL is about ready to realize that the season is kind of over and should start quitting again soon...but even if they come to play I think Peyton reminds us not to count out the Colts and wins by 14 points.

STL-ARI
I'm just waiting for the Derek Anderson blow-up, I hope that's a weekly occurance because it was kind of fun. ARI is worse than bad and STL needs a W. Easy pick here.

PIT-BAL
GREAT Game. It will be a FG either way and I would suspect a split in the season series so I'll go PIT. It seems like people are forgetting about them. Both overlooked their games last week, PIT a little worse than BAL...which means they are more prepared this week, right?!? I like PIT by 3: 20-17.

NYJ-NE
Belichick is great. When asked how his coaches were preparing for the Jets he replied, "hiking, fishing, badminton...the usual." That's awesome. His club will rebound and house the JETS. Brady at home, Belichick vs. REX, that greatest D in the world that actually isn't the greatest D in the world...yep, Pats are the pick...NE 27-13.

Finally....

FRAZIER vs. Who the hell is coaching BUF?
Should be an epic at the dome this weekend. I LOVE the Bills getting 7.5, might be the easiest money of the weekend. Leslie should probably get us the win, but this will be close. I think the Bills do something dumb in the 2nd half and lose this one, but cover.

PURPLE 20 BILLS 17

Yep, every losing team this week will score 17...

Until next week...aaaaarrrrrrrrggggghhhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment