Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Thoughts from WEEK 2

We're 2-0, Purple 1-0...that's about all the important stuff that came out of this weekend. But there were a few other tidbits I felt like I needed to touch on...in no particular order:

1)During our pregame action at Sally's we were watching Becky almost lose to Fresno. These 2 guys behind me, after a Fresno TD in which everyone cheered, make the comment that "they don't get it" as they sat in silence. I first assumed they were Becky fans, until I saw they were wearing Maroon and Gold. I had to ask, what don't we get - that we hate WIS and want them to lose? (I had a few in me at the time, so I was probably a little more aggressive than usual). They said we need WIS and IOWA and everyone in the B10 to win all their games to help the Gophers. I tried to explain to them that it is really almost 100% irrelevant for our club. Unless we're BCS bound or they are, which isn't the case this season, a WIS loss has zero impact on us. The B10 has automatic bowl tie-ins and we'll be slotted in these games based solely on what our record is and what these bowls choose. If we beat a 0-4 WIS team or a 4-0 WIS team - it makes no difference! Apparently, these were two of the dumber Gopher fans in history and they just kept arguing that we needed WIS to win today for some reason that was never made clear to me. I guess the message is, if you are going to cheer for a rival you better get your shit together and figure out what the hell is going on or I will harass you.

2)Morons #2. While sitting in our seats we had no less than 3 people ask why we were cheering for a MICH win over ND. Come on! It's ND! Are you kidding me! Not that I'm a MICH fan at all, but they rank about 100 notches higher on the favorite team list vs. the Irish...and they should for everyone unless you have some unusual tie that doesn't allow you to hate ND. I put these people into the same group as those that like the Yankees and Lakers. If ND loses, it is a good day.

3) Brewster vs. KFAN - this was bizarre. Did anyone hear this today during the PA show? They started the show by saying the U said no players or coaches will be available to be on KFAN because they weren't happy with how they were being portrayed by the station. So PA and everyone else basically spent the entire day bashing everything that is Brewster and Gophers Football. Not that I blame them, it was a stupid stance by Brewster when you have a team desperate for any attention it can get and a station that gives them an average of 2 minutes per week. I know they are not the biggest supporters, but this is still a very bad idea by Brew. Then at the end of the show KFAN reported that is was a mistake and miscommunication. Whatever, I'm betting the powers at the U told him to fix this immediately. More stunts like this will not help Timmy's chances at an extension if they don't win more than 6-7 games this year.

4) GOPHER Schedule - remember how difficult it was shaping up to be when the season started? Well, let's look ahead and see how many games we really won't have a chance in this season:
CAL - will be extremely tough, but we're at home, they suck on the road...who knows.
NW - looked awful, Kafka still can't throw - we might be favored or at least a pickem
WIS - we should win this game
PUR - we should win this game
PSU - not nearly as dominant as once thought - OL in shambles, great D...but during Vegas week anything can happen
OSU - haven't looked real good at all. Pryor can't throw, D looks a little suspect...even so this will be a very tough one.
SPARTY - very winnable on Halloween night at the Brickhouse.
ILL - finally the world is realizing what I told you all along, these guys are overrated and we will win this game.
SDST - please.
IOWA - tough at Kinnick, but seriously this team is nothing special either. We have played tough on the road in Brew's tenure, so I'll take our chances.

I honestly only see 3 very likely losses, and maybe 1-2 more. If we win less than 7 games I will be very surprised this season. B10 = weak! Who knew leaving MICH off the slate would be a good thing in 2009!

5) And finally, in an event that will become symbolic to the Virgina Cavaliers season of 2009, their mascot Cavman rides in on a horse before every home game. Well, during the home opener last week against TCU he fell off. Yep, your 2009 Virgina Cavaliers. You can watch it in the link above...hilarious.

Everyone is paid in full so we are locked and loaded for the next 20+ weeks. Thanks for getting this is to me on time guys - makes it much easier as we inch closer to the actual payout at the end of the season.

Send me your picks sometime in the next 24 hours - I'll send out the full preview tomorrow.

PJ - Indifference

i will light the match this mornin', so i won't be alone
watch as she lies silent, for soon light will be gone
i will stand arms outstretched, pretend i'm free to roam
i will make my way, through, one more day in hell...
how much difference does it make
how much difference does it make...
i will hold the candle till it burns up my arm
i'll keep takin' punches until their will grows tired
i will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind
hey i won't change direction, and i won't change my mind
how much difference does it make
how much difference does it make..
how much difference...
i'll swallow poison, until i grow immune
i will scream my lungs out till it fills this room
how much difference
how much difference
how much difference does it make
how much difference does it make...

No comments:

Post a Comment