Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Anxious Boredom

Is it Saturday yet?!?

I thought this was going to be easy with a short week of work and games starting again on Thursday but I think I'm ready to fire up the Gopher Kool-Aid right now and wait it out until 6pm on Saturday! Seriously, this is probably the most excited I've been for a game in a looooooong time...maybe ever.

I've been thinking of how we win the opener on Saturday and reading a lot of the doubters comments out there. Then I started thinking about your 2008 Gophers. Remember how confident we were going into week 1 hosting No.Ill at the Dome and everyone was predicting a crush? Then we ended up winning on a last second 4th down play and pass knock down in the end zone. The next week we had to go to Bowling Green, who had just beat Pitt, and the whole world thought we were toast (4 pt dogs). What happened in that game? We crushed - forced turnovers like crazy, ran the offense well, and housed an overmatched BGSU team.

Doesn't this sound familiar? We should have gone in and housed the Orange last week, but ended up winning in OT on a late FG. Now looking ahead, we welcome in AF who just won 72-0 and a lot of the experts are saying we will likely get beat. So to stick with the trend, I'm guessing we come out and force a few turnovers in the sloppy rain (how cool is it that weather can actually be a factor!) and look 1000% better on offense than we did last week. Early gut feeling on the final score...GOPHERS 38 AF 21...and the party doesn't stop until after we beat Cal on next Saturday!

You probably all know that I'm kind of the eternal optimist when it comes to my favorite squad, but I really do like our chances this week. Why? Well, I think our D will hold them in check, and they are far from impressive on the defensive side of the ball themselves. Only 3 of their front 7 are back from a mediocre D in 2008, so I think we get the running game going and stick with it this week...especially if weather is a factor. Bottom line, I don't think there is any way we lose the TCF Opener.


Pick update - 5 are in, waiting on picks from GREG, KOBOW, ROE - please send by Noon Tomorrow.

Lots more coming tomorrow with a preview of all picks and game predictions from the guy who went 6-9 (18-22 overall) last week. So that's something to look forward to!

In My Tree

up here in my tree, yeah
newspapers matter not to me, yeah
no more crowbars to my head, yeah
i'm trading stories with the leaves instead, yeah
wave to all my friends, yeah
they don't seem to notice me, no
all their eyes trained on the street, yo, oh
sidewalk cigarettes and scenes, (tem-pted)
up here so high i start to shake
up here so high the sky i scrape
i'm so high i hold just one breath here within my chest
just like innocence

No comments:

Post a Comment