Thursday, December 4, 2008

Week 15 Preview

3 of 4 sets of picks are locked and loaded, just waiting on Roe right now - but this is the only chance I have to write today, so here we go.

Anyone catch ULL last night, I loved loved loved them in that game...but I didn't include it because I figured you guys would call me a cheat picking a TUES game.

JR and MK have RUT tonight, JG likes LOU. I love these small weeks, it's actually a managable amount of games to look at and dissect. RUT rolls LOU tonight 34-20.

BUFF-BALLST
nobody picked this one, but it might be worth a watch. I think the line is right on, but if I had to bet I like Ball State to stay undefeated.

PITT-UCONN
All 3 of us have PITT in this one. UCONN just hasn't been impressive all year, but they play well at home. PITT 23-20.

NAVY-ARMY
Never close. All 3 of us like NAVY, rightfully so. 30-16 Navy.

ECU-TULSA
I like ECU,MK likes Tulsa. Tulsa may still win, but not by more than 10.

BC-VT
JR/JG like VT, MK likes BC. Toss up game, but I had to stick with my preseason ACC pick...Hokies 21-18.

WASH-CAL
This should be a fun one. MK and JG took CAL...I like CAL by 6.5 scores...59-14.

ALA-FLA
JG likes the Tide, MK and I like the GATORS. I don't ALA is in the same league as the Gators...Tebow and co roll 37-20.

USC-UCLA
Another ugly one, but for a rivalry game I think 30 is a little much. MK and JG likes the Bruins, and I kind of agree with them. Should be really close to the line on this one...I'll say USC 44-16.

WKY-FIU
Sleeper pick of the week...LOVE FIU in this one. nobody else touched it.
FIU 45-21.

ARKST-TROY
Troy covers in a close one - nobody picked it...TROY 31-17.

USF-WV
JR and JG both like WV in this one. This looks like a gimme to me. WV 27-13.

ASU-AZ
Line is too large on this one. MK likes the Devils, JG took AZ. I'll take the Devils to cover in a close one - neither is team is very good...AZST 24-21.

MIZZ-OK
Blowout alert. I know the line is big, but it should be bigger. Sooners are my pick, MK and JG both like MIZZOU. I'll say OK 59-28.

CIN-HAW
The final regular season game of the year, what a great finish - on the beach in lovely HAW. Sadly, the Rainbows won't have a chance...CIN 28-10. I like CIN - no other bets on this one.

Assuming I'm right on all of these, which is usually the case (340-331 this year), here's how the 8-team playoff would play out:
ACC - VT
B12 - OK
B10 - PSU
SEC - FLA
P10 - USC
BE - CIN
NON-BCS - UTAH
WILDCARD - TEX/ALA/TT - I'll take TEXAS

Seeding:
1-FLA
2-OK
3-TEX
4-USC
5-PSU
6-UT
7-CIN
8-VT

VT-FLA
PSU-USC

CIN-OK
UT-TEX

How nice would this shape up? FLA houses VT, USC is better than PSU...FLA-USC in one semi-final

OK beats CIN...again, TEX beats UT...OK-TEX rematch in the other semi final

FLA wins and OK beats TEX this time...so we end up in the same place we are now with GATORS-SOONERS playing for the title.

I love the Gators right now in this one by the way.


NFL

All 3 of us like the Raiders tonight...yikes.

MK took JAX at CHI - that team looks done to me, but I'll be pulling for them.

I took the PACK, I know I'm a horrible person, but I saw HOU and they bad.

JG likes the Falcons, I kind of agree but betting against NO at home is scary.

JG also like PHILLY - I don't bet against the Giants ever this year.

I did take TEN over CLE...see the NYG rule.

I took MIA, MK took BUF. This should be close, but I'm picking MIA based on recent trend of BUF sucking more than MIA.

JR and JG like NYJ, MK likes SF. I still think the JETS are a bit of a question mark, but the 49ers suck. Only 4 points? It's a layup.

JG likes NE at SEA. I think I've picked for a SEA rebound about 6 weeks in a row (they are the TEN VOLS of the NFL) but I'm convinced it won't happen. The sweatshirt will have his squad ready to play after the embarassment last week.

MK finally likes CAR on MONDAY NIGHT. Not sure on that one, I'm kind of leaning toward TB.

RANDOM NOTES AND THOUGHTS
Why do I love USC and Pete Carroll? This week at UCLA they will be wearing the home reds against the home blues of UCLA. Carroll is forfeiting 1 timeout per half to do this - that's awesome.

Penn State's Nittany Lion, the actual mascot, got a DUI and can't go to the bowl game.

I was going to comment on who will coach ND next year, but I guess that mystery has been solved. Chuck is back for another year - great, more shittiness out of South Bend - I love it.

Minority Coaches or lack of them - I'm pretty sick of this issue. Maybe it's because I'm a white guy, but seriously, these are multi-million dollar programs - don't you think they can hire whoever the hell they want to run the show? Do I think more black coaches should probably get a chance and more should be hired? Sure. But I am so sick of hearing the arguement. The arguement comes up because the general public feels that either guy could do the job the same (black guy or white guy) but there is a huge ratio problem. Well, I could make the same arguement for white WR's, or black K's, or white DB's. Bottom line, whether it is an NCAA "Rooney" Rule or not, it doesn't mean more black coaches will get hired. The track records haven't exactly been stellar as of late, much like those of white WR's. It comes down to the underlying perception that black people are dumb which is why they can't coach or play QB or run a company. I'm not saying this is true or that I believe this, but this is the underlying issue that causes all the turmoil that surrounds this situation every time a black guy gets fired or a white guy gets hired over a black guy. Sorry for the rant, just sick of this crap.

One other note - Sly Croom, ousted at MISS ST, never had a chance. The South really doesn't live like the rest of the country, and I find it really hard to believe that a black head coach will ever have a lot of success in the SEC. We'll see, but I don't think it will happen.

Speaking of, lots of nice jobs out there right now...MISS ST, AUB, WASH, KST, SYR - well, not great jobs I guess, but BCS conference jobs.

That's all I gots for now.

DEFINITELY NEED TO FIGURE OUT A DAY TO HANG OUT AGAIN. GOPHERS BOWL GAME SHOULD BE SET LATE SUNDAY / EARLY MONDAY, MAYBE WE CAN SET SOMETHING UP AROUND THAT.

We'll be in touch - have a good championship weekend guys.

No Vikes preview this week, we have a bye.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment