Monday, December 15, 2008

Some fun stuff

Hey Guys -

I've got 2 hours to burn before a meeting, so I found some fun things to write about.

1) Graduation rates by race for NCAA Football players 59% for black kids, 76% for white kids. Not shocking, actually slightly higher on both accounts than I might have guessed. But the huge diparity between the 2 is coming into question - "experts" are saying that black kids don't get the same kind of education opportunities in HS, which is why they do worse in college. Hmmm.

2) SDST hired Brady Hoke, current or former Ball State coach. This was thought to be a landing spot for our favorite B10 Network commentator (Mase). My gut says they made the right move, although if Mase would have brought them back to 7-5 and a lame ass bowl game SDST might have been satisfied with that.

3) If you're looking for a little comedy today - check Collegefootballtalk.com and watch the YouTube clip of Gene Chizick landing at AUB. There is a guy heckling in the background, and it just hilarious. Apparently, nobody, including me, thinks they made the right move by hiring the former frontman for the Clones. I mean seriously, this guy goes 2-10 at ISU and AUB hires him? He has some major recruiting questions, which I think is the #1 talent to grab in a virtual unknown coach, and obviously he hasn't exactly coached up his ISU club over his 2 year tenure. This looks like a major blunder to me, and I'm guessing he won't last over 2-3 years without being rejected unanimously by the fans and players.

Chuck Barkley is all over this one as well. He think Turner Gill should have been hired, a black guy of course. But I like the call, I think Gill would have at least given some optimism - but with Chizik I think you kind of know what you're getting, and it isn't good. I hate that Barkley always has to play the race card, but Gill should get a bigger better job sometime soon. Scary future for that AUB squad...they better get used to looking up to Saban and ALA for quite a while.

4) Sam McGuffie, who looked so solid earlier in the year for MICH, is leaving DickRod's program and possibly heading for TEX A&M. I liked this guy, and I think this is a big-time loss for DickRod. However, I still like his odds to turn this team into a Bowl Team next year, and even better in the near future.

5) Non-football note with some Vegas relevance...Jamie Moyer, remembered best as the old man trying to pitch against the Dodgers in the playoffs while we were in Vegas, is 46...but he just signed a 2 year extension with PHIL!! Unreal. The guy has a contract until he's 48! I guess there is hope for my comeback after all.

6) Finally, in some breaking news...the former Hangtime star, Reggie Theus, was fired today by the Nets. Shocker. His unreal coaching on the cheese -ball saturday monring kiddy sitcom didn't translate into NBA success.

Okay. I think that's all I was thinking about. Back to work slackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment