Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Conference USA Preview

Time to get excited...CUSA football preview week!
I won't go into nearly the detail I had before for the BCS conferences, but I think it's good to have a clue about what is going on in the smaller conferences. These actually have some of the best betting lines you're going to find - if you can get to know a MAC, CUSA, SBC type conference really well it can give you a solid 2-3 games a week that are very predicatable.

CUSA WEST
#1 UTEP - PR 6
I see 9-3 and a CUSA title game in the future for Mike Price. This teams scores a lot of points, and has seen very little turnover since last year.

#2 TULSA - PR 5.5
Very strong last season, but they only return 2 OL, a new QB, and only 1 back on the DL. The biggest blow may be replacing Gus Malzahn as OC...so they will be defintiely worse, but still a respectable progrum. 7-5.

#3 SMU - PR 5.5
This is the same team that went 1-11 in 2008, but they will be much improved in June Jones year 2. A returning QB and experienced OL will add at least a TD per game to the 21 ppg they scored last season. I think they have at least 6 wins on the slate...I'll go pessimistic and say 6-6.

#4 HOUSTON - PR 5
I like this team. They scored 41 ppg last year and lead the nation in yardage. Sumlin is back for his 2nd year as coach - lots of offense returns...but the schedule is BRUTAL. OKST, TT, at MISS ST, SOMISS...all games that they probably can't win. Most of the tough conference games are on the road as well...6-6.

#5 RICE - PR 3.5
Totally new offense from last year's 9-3 record setting offense = major downturn. I think the offense falls off the table from the 42 ppg of 2008, which will crush the Owls this year. They were also a +13 in TO...another bad omen for 2009. 2-10.

#6 TULANE - PR 3.5
They will suck again and they play at RICE. Bob Toledo's 3rd and possibly final year will be very similar to 2008. The offense is way below average and the defense is also brutal...not a good combo. 1-11.

CUSA EAST

#1 SOMISS - PR 6.5
This squad really impressed me last year in the bowl game. Fedora, the head coach, provides a lot fire and it's a fun group to watch play. They also have a ton of talent returning including a rock star OL and all 4 DL. They have a star in WR DeAndre Brown - but not sure on his availability after an ugly leg injury in the bowl game. Especially if Brown is healthy, we have a potential BCS buster on our hands...9-3.

#2 EAST CAROLINA - PR 6
The early season shocker of 2008, this club should be good again in 2009. They return a Sr. QB and 5 OL...so the offense should improve on the 24 ppg of 2008. The D will also remain solid - but the schedule is tough. WV, NC, VT are all non-conference losses - which pushes the overall to about 7-5.

#3 UCF - PR 5.5
George O'Leary had a rare down year in 2008. I think they bounce back and play much better in 2009. Return nearly the entire defense, and have some experience at QB and OL = big offensive improvements. They also bring in a new OC from he CFL - should be interesting. 7-5

#4 MARSHALL - PR 5.5
Another team looking for a bounceback. Lots of experiecne once again and a solid coaching staff. Bowl potential at 6-6.

#5 MEMPHIS - PR 4.5
This isn't a very good club. I actually watched a MEM-UAB game in its entirety last season on CBS College Sports network on a Thursday night. That might have something to do with me ranking them #5 and #6 in this division...brutal. 1 OL is back, 1 DL is back...that spells disaster....2-10.

#6 UAB - PR 4.5
Actually a better story to tell than MEM, but the scheulde is tougher and they play at MEM. 5 OL are back, a Sr QB, 5/7 on D...all good things. But even with the returners on D, it should still be the worst in the league, which keeps them in the cellar at 2-10.


SOMISS - UTEP CUSA Title Game
I've kind of got a thing for SOMISS - I love their style, their uniforms, well....I guess I just think they are the best thing going in this conference. If Brown is healthy, like I mentioned above, this will be a team on the BCS cusp if things fall right.

There we go - one small conference down and the MAC, MWC, WAC, SBC, and Independents to go. I'll fire these out in rapid fire fashion over the next couple of weeks.

I really don't want to talk about the Favre thing, because I'm super burned out on the whole deal. Whatever, I'm just happy for the tards that went about bought their #4 purple jerseys...I guess you can always put BOOTY on the back. I can't wait for another 10-6 round one loss season...(yawn).

PJ - Last Exit

let the sun shine, burn 'way my mask
three days, and maybe longer
won't ever find me here
let the ocean dissolve 'way my past
four days, and not much longer...let my spirit pass...
this is, this is...this is, this is...this is, this is...
my...last exit

No comments:

Post a Comment