Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Quick Gopher Update

Hey Guys -

Just a couple of quick notes to recap some of the things that have been happening in Gopher World:

1) Lipscomb and Tremaine Brock will not be on the squad this season.
Not a shocker on Brock, as soon as he left I thought it was unlikely we would ever see him again. He was nice last year, but not irreplaceable. I think there are enough young kids that can contribute in the secondary - so I'm not thinking we'll really miss him much at all. Kim Royston, the Sconny transfer, will probably step in and start beside Theret (hopefully someone else). Overall, I don't think this makes the secondary an issue.

2) Finally, some good July news for the maroon and gold - the big bosses decided to surround the field with bricks instead of the concrete and padding that was originally planned. This is going to look great, and it will be done for the opener. This was about the only complaint I was finding about the stadium (except the booze issue) so it's nice to see that they stepped up and made the change. It should continue to draw comparisons to the old Brickhouse with this addition. Although, I did see a picture of the old Brickhouse yesterday, and the scoreboard looked smaller than my laptop.

58 days, 11 hours, 29 minutes until kick-off...


A couple other notes I read last night -

Florida is a double digit in every single game this year right now. Now, I know they are going to be extremely loaded, but really? Will they win by 10+ in every SEC game? The strangest one I saw was FLA -27 vs. Lane Kiffin and Tennessee in late September. That's nuts - but I guess the wise guys making the numbers expect Urban to lay it on the newbie in their first meeting after all the crap he's been spewing out this off-season.

One other strange line I saw: ND -17 vs. Nevada in week 1. Can I bet the farm on Nevada right now?!? ND will definitely be better this year, but NEV scores a lot of points and has a really good team...this line is not even close and I'll expect it to shrink dramatically by the time the beginning of September rolls around.

No comments:

Post a Comment