Thursday, October 30, 2008

WEEK 10 PICKS

Is it really week 10 already? Only 4 lovely Gopher Saturdays left this year...followed by the best New Year's Day in my lifetime.

Here's what the experts are thinking this week:

MR and MK go against each other tonight...MR with the DOG CINCY club, MK with USF. I'm reallt torn on this game. USF is the better team, CIN is a home Thursday Dog - hmmm, tough call. I lean USF.

MK goes against JG with WV and UCONN. Once again, WV is the better team...but UCONN is close and a home dog - always dangerous.

MR likes Sparty to not let down against a brutal Badger team. Scary time again for Sparty...I still am picking them to roll over Becky.

3 of us love the Gophers - all but JG. Preview below.

JR and JG took VIR as a home dog. MK of course loves MIAMI. VIR is way too hot to bet against right now, especially as a home dog.

MK took AF at ARMY. AF typically rolls Army, but they are showing signs of life this year. But I still like AF.

JR and JG both like MICH at PUR. I think the PUR defense is bad enough and the offense is inept enough to continue the losing ways for Tiller's farewell.

JR and MR both like MIZZOU. This team has the pressure off and will continue to score in bunches.

JG took KAN at home, I'm a little scared on this one. I think State might cover, they have played better lately.

I like KENT at BGSU. BGSU doesn't cover at home...ever. And Kent is coming off a shocking win LW.

I LOVE A&M at home against COL this week. Two teams trending opposite directions, I think I'll label this one as the dreaded LOCK OF THE WEEK.

JG took PITT, MR took ND. This is a tough one to call. I like ND at home, PITT showed too much vulnerability LW for me by giving up 54 to RUT.

MK likes FRESNO at LT as a 5 pt FAV. I am leaning LT on this one - FRESNO is kind of checked out and has played close games every week lately.

JR took CAL at home over ORE. Toss up game - take the home team.

JR also took GT at +2 over FSU. I think Tech is a better team - although the Noles are much improved.

MK likes the GATORS, JG and MR like the DOGS. This should be a classic. Game of the year for me thus far. I think 5.5 is too much, could go either way, but gun to the head I take GEO.

MR likes Wake -7 hosting DUKE. Typically this should be a no-brainer, but with DUKE's ability to score, and Wake's inability to score...I like the Devils to cover.

JG picked the Clones! Not against the Clones, he went for the Clones. I hope OKST wins by 50 just to spite him for breaking tradition.

All 3 of you like ILLINOIS hosting IOWA. These 2 teams are very tough to figure out. I really hope the ILLINI cruise, but I think I'm taking IOWA to win this one.

JG likes the Mormons of Brigham to cover 14 at CSU. I think this is a good pick.

MR caved and took the Trojans at an astounding -43! Washington is bad, and probably won't score a point. The Trojans are looking for style points and may win this one by 75-80.

JG also took the hated HUSKERS this week to cover 21 at OK. I think OK makes another statement this week by winning by 40+.

MR and MK like TTECH over the #1 ranked Horns. I hate to go against ROE in a big game, but I think the Horns win again. Their defense is still pretty good, and I really don't think Tech can stop the run or pass in this one. Texas D and running game win it for them...52-38.

JR likes the Owls of Rice...I love obscure picks because I don't have to agonize through watching them!

Finally, JR loves OREST! MK likes AZST. I think this is a blowout in favor of the Beavers.

GOPHERS hosting NW
Well, we're 7-1 with 4 to play. Unreal. NW may have started their inevitable collapse a week earlier than expected by losing to IND LW. After us, they have OSU, MICH, ILL...ouch! The facts are this - NW is missing their star RB, QB, and MLB for this game. They just lost to an awful IND team that is much worse at this point than when we played them and they were still thinking they actually had a chance in 08. The Gophers come in riding a 3 game winning streak and being completely carried by their defense. In a perfect world, the offense would finally come out of their shell and give the defense a week off...but I don't think that will happen. NW actually plays defense this year too (hmmm...better D = more wins, interesting) and we may come out a little tight due to a lot of people looking past this one and ahead to the next 3 Big Ones. I expect this to be a very close 1st half...I'd say a 10-7 game at half one way or the other. In the 2nd half, the Gophers will get a spark by a big play from a WR (Green again?) and fire up the dome. 2 NW turnovers later it will be 24-10 Gophers before NW knows what hit them. That's when the doubt will creep into the Wildcats minds and this one will become kind of a laugher. The offense will still sputter enough to be a concern, but a convincing Gopher win will feel good...we move to 8-1 after a 31-20 victory!! Rah, rah, rah for Ski-u-mah! 3 GINORMOUS games to go for the 8-1 Gophers...I can't F*cking wait!!

On to the league that I care zero about right now...honestly, with the Wolves, Wild, and the Gopher hockey and hoops teams looking nice - the Vikes have become about .5% of my sports thinking the last week or two. This week is a must win, but I'm scared that it might not happen...should I be scared or excited though, because an avalanche of losses (which is for sure if we lose this week) would likely get rid of the Chilly, which would make TREE happy.

Our picks:
I like the Titans...I think I'll keep picking them until they lose.

JG took TB...look like Ty Thigpen is hitting his stride, look out Bucs D.

JG likes BAL, JR and MK like CLE. I just feel like the Browns figured it out and are ready to win a few in a row.

MR likes the Bears. The Lions are bad...I mean really bad.

JR and MR likes the Bills - my favorite play of the week.

JG took the JAGS at -7...tough pick, they never beat anyone by more than 7 so I'll bet heavy on a push here.

MR took the TEXANS at the dome, MK holds out hope and picks the Purple.

MR and MK agree on picking the RAMS over the CARDS.

MK picks DEN...I think KOBS likes DEN every week.

JG took ATL at OAK. Definitely a better team, but a scary road trip.

JR took the G-MEN. I hate the hook, but maybe the Giants go for 2 to win by 8?!?

JG makes a nice pick with PHIL at SEA.

JR likes NE getting points against INDY.

MR and MK agree again on PITT at WASH on Monday night.

PURPLE HAZE
I'm really not sure what to think this week about this club. We seem to be a better team, but I'm not 100% sure on that. HOU plays horrible D, but can we really take advantage of that? I'm betting no. They have a nice offense that throws it well and runs it at times...we probably stop the run this week, but who covers Andre?!? Scary trap game for the Purple...but they do play better at home so I'm calling for a rarity...a win but no cover. VIKES 24 HOU 21.

That's all for this week. If the Gophers continue winning, I might just make this update 2000 words on how much I love the Gophers...or is that what it is already?

Hope everyone is doing well - have a great weekend. Keep in mind next weekend - JG is in for late Saturday, but haven't heard from Mike & Mike yet. If you're around, we should hook up to celebrate getting back the JUG!! Optimistic, yes...realistic, yes...likely, yep. We'll be TD or better favorites over MICH!!!!! AHHHHH!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment