Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Is This Really Happening?

Ok. I'm a Gopher Rube equal to any other out there, but seriously...can you believe this optimism that we are getting locally and most impressively on the National scene? I just read this on CFN:

QUESTION: sleeper BCS team to watch out for?

"Also, don’t lose sight of Minnesota. Yup, as crazy as it sounds, the Golden Gophers are 6-1 and just might be favored in each of their final five games. If they can somehow win out and either Ohio State or Penn State has two losses, you know that league commissioner Jim Delany will do whatever is necessary to get two Big Ten teams into BCS bowl games. Hey, Kansas and Wake Forest have played in January games in this era of college football."

Holy crap! Not Texas Tech, not LSU...MINNE F'ing SOTA!! I don't know if I can handle this. Seriously, in my wildest dreams I did not expect this in 2008.

I've been working for like 4 hours straight, so I needed a break - here are some fn facts, commentaries, and general thoughts on the FOOTBALL WORLD.

- awesome quote: Penn State LB Navorro Bowman was asked about the BCS rankings and said, “I don’t even know what that is.”

- Anyone catch Lou Holtz comparing Rich Rodriguez to Hitler on Saturday...Lou is going to mumble himself right out of a job very soon.

- Becky fans are revolting against Bielema and the entire Sconny squad. On some Badger message boards the basic vibe is this: "I don't care about the rest of the season, we could go 1-7 in the B10 and just beat the Gophers and I'll be happy." Wow, how the times have changed...I think I uttered that exact line last year for the Becky and the Iowa games. I think I'll take a 6-2 or even 5-3 B10 record and a Jan 1 Bowl Game.

- On Becky, so they are 3-4, They will likely beat IND and Cal Poly in the finale (nice scheduling), but they have to upset ILL, MSU, or MINNESOTA to get a chance at even going to a bowl. What a great season.

- Apparently Iowa is touting Shonn Greene for Heisman. Did you hear Ferentz' kid got arrested this week! I love all the issues they are having with players. Greene for Hesiman, I'll give him Chris Darkins type odds at that...housing IND and WIS does not get you much in my book. Iowa will lose 3 of their final 4 and go 6-6...could Becky and Cap. Kirk both miss a bowl this year?!?!?

- Boise is 6-0...they gave up 32 to ORE and won, but in their other 5 they have given up 7,7,7,7,3...who knew the Smurfs played that kind of defense!

- JG - are the Noles for real again? Giant, Giant, Giant game this week hosting VTECH, but the defense looks to be back to dominant level and the offense has its moments. 6 very tough games left force me to pick against them as the ACC champ, but it's nice to see them semi-back.

- who does win the ACC? let see, BC only has one loss to GT but 3 very tough road games left (NC, FSU, WF)I think counts them out. GT has only one loss to VT, 3 of the 4 remaining ACC games are at home (at NC)(home VIR, FSU, MIA). MARY has one ACC loss, 3 of 5 ACC games remaining at home, where they rock. But traveling to VT and BC likely means 2 losses...so they are out. NC has the most favorable schedule...3 home games and at MARY and DUKE, but they already have 2 losses. Believe it or not, VIR only has one ACC loss, but 5 tough ones left mean they don't get close. WF and VT also each only have one loss in the ACC. If WF can get by MIA this week on the road, they are the odds on favorite for me...VT has a battle at FSU, but if they get by that one they should win out (MARY, at MIA, DUKE, VIR)...I like VT vs. WF for the ACC title with my preseason pick, the Hokies winning it all.

- wow, that got a little more in depth than I intended. Texas is good, yeah - this just in. They are still averaging 48! points per game. This after playing COL, OK, MIZZ the last 3 weeks. Defense still has questions (30+ to OK and MIZZ) but if you continue to score 48 ppg you will win. I think they win this week but have a battle with either at TTECH or at KAN...they need a close road test before this thing is over. The should at least make the B12 title game, but who do they play?

- Well, B12 North is bad once again. I am going to continue to tout my overlooked Jayhawk club for this spot. One B12 loss right now, will probably lose to either TEX or TT, but not both. MIZZ has 2 L's right now, and still plays KAN in the finale. I can't see them losing to COL, BAY, KST, ISU...so I'll take MIZZ over KAN in the B12 North and a MIZZOU-TEXAS rematch in the B12 title game. Logic would say Texas housing again...but logic does not apply in B12 title games, especially with major BCS implications. MIZZOU over TEXAS to lift the 11-1 Gophers into the BCS Championship!!!

- AUB at WV this Thursday, wow big game...but nobody cares because these 2 both suck this year. WV is an 8-4 type team that does not impress anyone, and AUB has set NCAA offense back a few years with their performance this year...they lose 3 or 4 more game before it's over to go 6-6.

- OREST cuold be going to the Rose Bowl...yeah, the same team that got housed by STAN and PSU to start the year. They shouldn't lose again, but probably will, but I'm saying there's a chance. USC is probably still the best team in the country in my opinion.

-WASH at WASU could be epically bad this year. I'm think 0-10 Huskeis at 1-10 WASU...get your tickets now!!

- The B10 title is tough to analyze right now...everything is seen through Maroon goggles at this point. How do we get to the Rose Bowl you ask?...here we go:
-OHIOST needs 2 losses: this week they lose to PSU, and they lose at ILL or to MICH just because it's a rivalry.
-PENNST only needs one loss, assuming we win out, at IOWA on 11/8 could be scary, but that's about it. This week might be the best chance. I think it's our best chance for OHIOST to win this week and for them to then win out and go to the BCS (or lose 2 other ones) for us to get into the Rose Bowl.
- IOWA already has 2 losses, and they have at least 2 more on their schedule...no chance.
- NW is 2-1 like us, but we host them, they play OSU, MICH, and ILL...they lose at least 2-3 of those...dead.
- ILL is 2-2 right now, they need to win out, but at WIS, IOWA, OHIOST, at NW isn't a good schedule for that. at least a 3 loss team.
- MSU has only 1 loss, but at MICH they may lose because this is MSU we're talking about, then they close at PSU = L. WIS and PUR at home - I can see an L on one of those as well. They showed their true colors last week.
- GOPHERS should be/could be favored in their final 5 games. at BECKY is the tough one for me after this week, but hosting NW, IOWA, MICH is a good thing. I'm telling you guys...8-4 at a minimum, likely 9-3 for a final record. OUTBACK BOWL/CAP ONE BOWL...bring it!!

Well, that's probably enough rambling. Thanks for listening or deleting...whatever.

Later fellas.

1 comment:

  1. CFN projects the Gophers finish at 10-2...let me repeat that, CFN, with a mid-season revision to their 6-6 prediction, has the GOPHERS of MINNESOTA going 10-2 this year only losing at BECKY.

    Do you believe in miracles...yes, yes i do!

    ReplyDelete