Tuesday, May 18, 2010

NBA Lottery

Once again, the most dramatic night of the year for our joke of an NBA franchise comes in mid-May and doesn't involve a playoff game. Yep, it's Lotto night, which has been just plain awful for our Woofies over the past...well forever I guess. We've never moved up...ever. That's hard to do considering we have been in this thing nearly every year of our existence besides a small KG window when we we're 1-and-done every year.

So this season we have the 2nd best chance at landing the #1 pick, nearly a 20% chance. Well, I probably don't have to point this out, but it won't happen. Since Kahn and his GM-type people have labeled this a "3 player draft", and we can pick anywhere from 1 to 5...where do you think we'll end up?

I'm almost willing to guarantee a #4 pick for the Wolves this evening. I know it's not rigged, right? But even so, I think I can come pretty close to narrowing down who will come out on top in this thing tonight.

CHANCE AT #1/#2 (John Wall & Evan Turner)
1. NJ Nets
NBA likes the move to Brooklyn coming in a couple of years, and this team actually has a couple of nice players to build with at this point. They have $$$ to spend, so adding a top pick is almost a no-brainer for the NBA. They will be in the TOP 3.

2. WOLVES
Zero chance. Cursed franchise that has been black-balled and will likely never change. We will pick 4th.

3. KINGS
This club is kind of spinning it's wheels as well. They have Evans, but I can't see the NBA wanting to help out this crew - they'll pick 5th.

4. WARRIORS
Steph Curry has changed the outlook for this squad. I think they are moving to the good side of the force within the NBA, so I'll give them a shot at landing a Top 3 pick. Getting 1-2 probably doesn't make a ton of sense for them with all their nice guards they already have, but I could see a swap with someone if they do land in the Top 2 which would allow them to pick up a big (Al Jefferson) and draft another big fella (Cousins or Favors).

5. WIZARDS
I don't think they have a shot. With the Arenas gun thing, and having the Flip/Wolves connection, this doesn't look good. No luck in WASHINGTON.

6. PHILLY
Actually a kind of decent looking club, and I think the NBA misses having them as a competitive threat a la AI's stint in PHILLY. I could very much see this club landing that #1 slot and getting John Wall.

7. DETROIT
I think this club had it's run and is going to assume it place back amongst the bottom feeders. NBA will not provide any help here tonight.

8. LA CLIPPERS
Nailed it last year, and we saw how that worked out. Stern and company will not want to see another #1/#2 pick go down for the season, so he won't send them to LA to be a Clipper.

9. UTAH
No. I think the league is annoyed that they are so good already, and you never see a team that acquires a pick via trade win the lotto. No chance.

10. INDIANA
Nope. Slim chances anyway, and the NBA won't make the miracle happen for a nothing franchise like this...now if it was the Knicks or Orlando...hmmm..

11. HORNETS
Thought to be a major contender, now it seems not as clear. With Paul's seemingly uncertain future this could be a non-factor team very soon. On the other hand, getting a guy like Turner could jump start this once promising progrum...I'll give them a slight chance at #2.

12. MEMPHIS
These guys are drafting about as poorly as the 1990's Woofies, no way does the NBA send one of the future stars to this train wreck.

13. TORONTO
Let's see, they've had 2 stars in their history and both are getting the hell out at their earliest chance...yeah, they won't get another one right now.

14. HOUSTON
Worst odds in the whole thing, so I think it's asking too much to expect to move up. All others are an option, but sitting 14th pretty much eliminates you.

So who has a shot? For me it's 4 teams: NEW JERSEY, GOLDEN STATE, PHILLY, and NEW ORLEANS.

My official prediction:

#1 PHILLY
#2 GOLDEN STATE
#3 NEW JERSEY

Obviously, I'll be holding out hope and believing that the Woofies actually have a chance tonight, but I will be disappointed once again.

I guess there's also a game tonight - how about my BOS take??!? $$$! ORL is beaten. They'll be closer tonight, but I think BOS wins a tight one and this thing is O-V-E-R.

CELTICS vs. LAKERS, just like the classic Sega Genesis game.

No comments:

Post a Comment