Monday, February 22, 2010

Winter Sports Season...not over yet?!?!

So I guess Tubby and Donny must read this blog because after calling out both teams as being completely finished for 2010 they each have huge 2-0 weeks and keep some slim hopes alive for post-season success.

First, the Hoopsters. How fun is it to win 3 in a row vs. Sconny and the angriest looking man in America, Mr. Bo Ryan. Seriously dude, simmer down a little. He looks like he might explode at any moment. This game was fun, and by FAR the best I've seen this team play all year. Offense looked like we had a plan, working the ball inside and getting open jumpers to fall from the outside...I think that's how it's supposed to work. But the defense was an even bigger story for me. They played aggressive, rebounded well, and changed it up at the right times. The 3-2 zone in the 2nd half totally shut down the Baaadgers and allowed us to cruise to a non-nailbiter win for the first time in a while. Then Saturday night they took care of business and pounded a brutal IND club. 4 to play, we still have a shot at 20 wins and a tourney bid...beating PUR at the barn might be a must (barring a B10 tourney run) to keep the dream alive.

Hockey team - where has this been? A dominating sweep of a good CC team this weekend has now made the end of this pathetic season a little more watchable. Now we are off to UMD and then host WIS for the finale series of the regular season. If you're going to get hot, it's a great time to do it! If nothing else, at least this will make the last couple of weekends watchable and with the Final 5 format, there is definitely a chance for this club to make some magic happen. It was nice to see Kangas play as well as he did on Friday night, then Saturday was the offensive showcase scoring 7 times! This is what we should do if you believe the offensive talent we have is what it is perceived to be. UMD is 7 points ahead of us, and they have been a better team all year...but I'll take our momentum and hopefully it will translate into at least 3 points on the road.

Finally - how about Olympic Hockey! I haven't watched a hockey game that fun in a long time. Unreal talent and competition...it was like an All-Star game but everyone was trying really hard to win. Amazing game, and now it seems like the squad is set in a good position to not face one of the big teams until the Gold Medal game assuming we can win the next couple in the medal round. We'll see, but whatever happens, how fun was it to stick it to the Canadians in their own country in their own national sport??!

Overall - great sports weekend, how can it continue into Monday. Well, I'm guessing I'll be forced into watching the Bachelor Tell All special tonight, which should be super awesome, so I guess I'll take a day off of the amazing winner vibe my teams have going right now.

One final note for the weekend - Gopher baseball takes 2/3 from Akron down in Ft. Meyers, sounds like the pitching was outstanding...as usual. I checked out a NCAA Baseball preview article and it looks like we're a fringe Top 25 club this season...maybe this is the year! Omaha, somewhere in middle America...

Time to start sharpening the mind up for the final 2 regular season weeks of NCAA Hoops and get ready for the Madness...start finding your favorites right now. I have a few already, and you will be VERY suprised to hear some of them...but I can't reveal until we get a little closer.

Loving this song right now...PJ

Do you want to hear something sad?
we are but victims of desire
I'm gonna shake this day
I wanna shake this day before I retire

I'm gonna see my friend
I'm gonna see my friend, make it go away
I'm sick of everything
I'm gonna see my friend, make it go away

Well I said I... I won't be long before we all walk off the wire
Well I'm gonna see my friend, I'm gonna see my friend for what I require
Well I said I will come in quick
don't want my flame to get no higher

I'm gonna see my friend
I'm gonna see my friend, make it go away
I'm sick of everything
I'm gonna see my friend, make it go away
I'm gonna see my friend
gonna see my friend, make it go away

Want to leave it all.
Want to give it up.
Want to see it go once and for all
Want to view it cho
Want a little bit home
Want to be there...
Hard as a statue, black as a tattoo, never to wash away

Gonna take me an astral plane
I'm gonna tunnel through denial
But I'm gonna shake this day
I wanna shake this day before I retire

I'm gonna see my friend
I'm gonna see my friend, make it go away
I'm sick of everything
I'm gonna see my friend, make it go away
I'm gonna see my friend
I'm gonna see my friend, make it go away

No comments:

Post a Comment