Monday, January 11, 2010

Weekend Thoughts

NYJ-CIN

I'm just not impressed with the Bungals. They finished the season poorly, the offense isn't that explosive, and I'm not a Marvin Lewis believer. Not that I think the JETS are great, but they were clearly roding the momentum coming into this game and that defense is tremendous. Better defense getting points is never a bad idea.

*Side note - for about 85% of the teams I think homefield means nothing. CIN is one of those teams. They ran it really well, but only scoring 14 points isn't going to get it done. I also think the "Rookie QB on the road" bit can be put to rest as well. Flacco and now Sanchez have both won over the last 2 years...and Ryan almost won LY as well. Rookie or not, if you got your team to the playoffs you can win regardless of age.

PHI-DAL
I went with PHI on this one, and missed badly. I heard a lot of chatter late in the week about how DAL can dominate both of the lines on each side of the ball. I wasn't so sure - not something I generally research or watch that closely...but I think they were right. Colin Cowherd was adamant about picking the Cowboys because some of his insiders were saying this very point. Well, I believe them now. This was a domination of the Eagles. The offense is really clicking for DAL, but that D is what carries them. PHI has the same problem they've always had - 13 rushing attempts. How do you expect to have any kind of "trickeration" in the offense when they know you're going to throw it 80% of the time? The whole world is in love with the Cowboys right now, which scares me about picking them next week, but I'm not sure if my trust in #4 or lack of trust in Chilly will keep me with the Boys or pick the Purple. BTW - will our QB next year be #5 instead of #4? (McNabb)

BAL-NE
What was that? Don't get me wrong, I was delighted to have the better D getting 3.5 points, but how ugly was this game? Brady turning it over time and time again...WTF? NE D allowing Ray Rice and McGahee to do anything they want...in the playoffs? I think there could be some things blowing up around NE because that club isn't right or at least they are not even close to what they have been. It needs to start on D and getting Brady 100% (which typically takes 2 years after a knee issue). BAL played inspired and really dominated on D. Not sure that they are a great team, but when you play D I'll give you a chance.

GB-ARI
Wow - defense....anybody? I really thought the GB D was going to come in and play well and win them this game. But you can't mess with a freaky streaky team like ARI when they get hot. GB made a helluva comeback, but it was nice to see them lose a heartbreaker...regardless of which way I bet. This is looking similar to LY for ARI, but now they go to NO instead of the CAR team of LY. NO definitely has some questions, but I think that might be the toughest home team left in the tourney.

Other - Pete Carroll.

Well, I guess it's offcial, Pete is going to SEA and taking my USC love with him. I liked USC because of Carroll, but that's gone now so I guess I have to look for a new team B. He might be getting out before the shit storm begins, which is bound to happen as it does with all dynasties. It was a good run, but suddenly, depending on what happens with sanctions, new hires, and player defections...that 3rd saturday in September at TCF looks a lot more winnable! As for Carroll, I'm sure he'll fail again in the NFL, like he has twice before, and be knocking on some college's door within the next 3-4 years. Maybe he'll come home, yep...and the Gophers will also get Seantrel Henderson...keep dreaming.

Sounds like Bates, his USC OC, will be going with him and turning down the Bears for their OC position...which keeps Mr. Fisch as one of the top 2-3 candidates from what I hear/read. Stay tuned, I'm guessing this will get resolved this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment