Monday, September 22, 2008

Week 4 Results - New Winner!

Congrats JG on an impressive 4-1 showing yesterday and an 11-4 overall record this week - you are the new champion of the world.

Our overall leader, Mr. Roe, did not disappoint with a 10-5 week. But he didn't win this time!

MK went 8-7 to improve to 4 games over .500, and even JR had a winning week at 9-6 to get within 6 games of .500 - woo-hoo!!

MR still has a 6 game lead over JG, 7 over MK, and 12 over JR...almost mathematically eliminated with 14 weeks to go!

MR is by far the leader for the NCAA picks with a 31-14 record (69%!!) Unbelievable.
MK and JG are each right around .500 with MK at 22-23, JG at 23-22.
JR is climbing back to respectability at 20-25.

NFL Picks have MK and JG as co-leaders at 10-5 overall (67%), while MR is 8-7 and JR is 7-8.

So I'm in last for the overall, the NCAA, and the NFL...f*ckin sweet.

OVERALL we went 38-22 last week for a 63% win - outstanding! Betting $50/game we would be up $800 overall!!

On to the games...

NCAA - I went 27-18 60% overall this week, finally a non .500 week for my "Pick Every Game with a line" NCAA game.

GOOD PICKS:
My 2 locks of the century both won, moving this record to 2-2. Tulane rolled easily, and Utah struggled but came back to do it for me.

GEO looked great, have to give all 3 of you credit on that one. ASU couldn't do a thing on offense, and the USC+9 (Pac-10) appears to be a 2nd rate conference this year that isn't even close to the SEC.

MR - Arizona, nice vision there. I was kind of believing in UCLA after the TN win, even after the route against BYU, I expected them to play well at home and win this game. Nope - UCLA is not a quality team, and AZ can score on anyone.

JG - nice call on VT, I picked the Heels to beat my ACC Pre-season champ, but I was wrong as usual. VT might win a lot of ugly ones this year and have already beaten 2 of the better ACC clubs in GT and NC. Wide open conference right now.

MR - Penn State and Texas, I love not being afraid of the giant spreads. These 2 continued to absolutely crush once again. Nice work.

JR - Akron over Army...this was an easy one for me, here's my secret (bet against ARMY every week...they suck)

MR & JG - Gators. Wow, Florida plays a little defense. TEN looks done. Too easy for the Gators in this one, very nice call here.

JR and MK - Canes! wow, quite a performance here by another Florida team. A&M is frggin' brtual, and the Canes didn't waste time beating the crap out of Sherman and the crew.

LSU - all 3 of you called this one. Jarrett Lee instantly put this team on the map for me. They went from, major questions at QB to wow, you just won in Auburn on a great comeback. Great call by all 3 of you on this one - I of course was thinking Auburn with the points at home.

BAD PICKS, a.k.a. (WTF were you thinking?)
JR - Houston. yep, I put 1/10 of my NCAA score this week on the shoulders of a now 1-3 Houston team as a 6 point road favorite. Don't ask, I'm retarded.

JR - Ball State will lose to Indiana, err, I mean Indiana is not good. This one wasn't even really that close. I'm marking Oct 4th at the dome as a W right now for the Maroon and Gold.

MR - FAU. Come on Mike! I'll send you a gallon of maroon and gold kool-aid asap. Then you can join the rest of us in picking the Gopehrs to straight up win over the Buckeyes this week...right Guys?

MK and JG - Pitt. Not really a bad pick, but it sucks to lose by the hook. Iowa sucks. As the guys on the video chant..."Who Hates IOWA?", "WE HATE IOWA!"

JR - Fresno. I kind of disregarded the let down factor after a big home loss to Bulemia and Becky last week, and I thought Toledo was worse than they actually were. Fun game to watch with 109 points scored, but Fresno should not be taken seriously the rest of the year after this performance.

GOPHERS RECAP
Very impressive. I think this might be the first time I've said this in my lifetime, but the Defense was very good and won us the game on Saturday. We completely shut down their attack - the game plan was spot on - and the execution and ball-hawking was something we haven't seen for quite some time. Offense rolled as expected, not overpowering, no major big plays, just a consistent point scoring machine. This was fun, and this is what I expect us to do from now on vs. teams like this. Brewtser is starting to get it, the team continues to gain confidence, and we are feeling good at 4-0. I'm going to have to rub the temples a bit before this week's prediction, the Buckeyes could be a tough one...but dare I say that we can have some confidence in Brew and Roof on coming up with a great plan to slow down this struggling Buckeyes squad. Early line is under 3 scores! Bottom line, 4-0 is great - a little unexpected, and definitely showing signs of progress.

NFL

Good Picks:
JR and JG - ATL! once again, how did we all not bet against Tyler Thigpen on the road. I think LeRoy-Ostrander would only be about a 3 point dog if they hosted the Thigpen lead Chiefs.

MK - TEN, this club just keeps winning. HOU isn't real good, but Collins and Co. look great right now.

VIKES - all 3 of you nailed this one. I wasn't a believer...more on this later.

JG - MIA! did you call for the cover or the straight up money line victory? Nice call dude - Pats appear to not be even close to what they were in 07.

MR - JAGS...nice call. Indy is another former AFC giant who appears to be down a great deal from years past.

JR, MR, MK - How about them Cowboys. Hands down best team in the NFL right now. To go into Lambeau and dominate was impressive. Too early for 16-0 talk?

MR - E-A-G-L-E-S, love this team and this defense. I'm also a Tomlin fan, but I loved this Philly pick off a loss at home vs. a rival. Injuries could be a concern at this point, but could this be the #2 team in the NFL?


BAD PICKS
JR and MK - Giants. who would have thunk that the lowly Bungals would play this well. Maybe betting against Cincy will not be a weekly must any more.

MR - BUFF, they trailed the whole game and didn't really look good until the end. Although, the are tops in the East and I don't think the Raiders are as bad as we all thought.

JR and JG - Denver. love that offense, but when they play someone who can score any line over 3 points is too much - the d looks very very weak this year.

VIKES RECAP
So I'm not going to say I was wrong because I don't think this was a Brad Childress offesne yesterday. Who would have thought that the change in QB would also change our playcalling, and if this was going to be the case how could Chilly actually think it's better to go with T-Jack from the start. Let's see, go with the youngster and have about 5 passing plays to choose from and run a 75-25 run/pass offense. Or go with Gus and use the entire playbook and look like the Eagles of back in the day and the current day by throwing it all over the field and mixing in a healthy dose of the run when they least expect it. Seriously, if you were not comfotable calling a game like this with TJACK how could you have put him in as the starter in the first place. A win is nice - the defense continues to rock - and Gus looked the part. If Gus stays healthy we should have a chance in the rest of the games - and we need #28 to stay healthy, which I really don't think can/will happen. But it was nice to see a better called game, and passes down the field and some unpredictability on the offense for a change. We'll see what happens, but definitely a step in the right direction for the Purple yesterday.


Okay - sorry for the longest update ever, I'll post next week's NCAA games today.

Thanks Guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment