Saturday, September 6, 2008

2-0, ain't it sweet?!?!?

Hey Guys - still on high from the Gophers' beatdown of BGSU tonight. I figured I'd start looking through my picks to see how bad those ended up. Right now, assuming Texas Tech holds on to cover, I went 2-8 in the college game. That might be a record, I'll have to check that this week. But who cares - here's a few off the cuff thoughts on the big Gopher win tonight:

1) How f'n good is Eric Decker!! Unreal. JG and I talked briefly about this, but the guy literally catches EVERYTHING. He should start getting a little more national attention as we roll to 4-0 before flying down to Columbus. All-American potential this year if he keeps it up.
2) Turnovers!! who are these guys that keep forcing turnovers on our defense? The commentators kept saying BGSU was shooting themselves in the foot, but we really had a lot to do with it by ripping the football away from them all night long - how long has it been since we've been on the right side of a 5-0 turnover margin.
3) Bennett looks like the real deal, hope he's okay. Salamon looked great as a #2, but Bennett really showed some flash tonight. I think he ran tougher and looked quicker and not as tentative this evening. It's great to have some depth at that position, but I hope he's good to go for the B10 games.
4) Special Teams - outstanding! we haven't had kick coverage issues on kicks or punts this year. Who are these guys, and what have you done with the yearly circus that is Gopher special teams! How good does Stoudemire look returning kicks...he's already turning into a guy that you might have to kick away from. I like our chances with Sherals or Thomas on the other side as well.
5) OL still looks very shakey to me. Weber was under pressure all night, they better sure things up before the trip to Columbus or we'll be looking for a new QB for B10 game #2.
6) I'm actually really excited for next week's "cupcake" (are we allowed to say that again in Gopher country after tonight?) for a chance to see us beat somebody down and get the young guys some time. I'm hoping to see a lot of the young WR's and backs play quite a bit against Montana St.
7) Hopefully a nice, big win like this will get the whole state off of Brew's back for a while. Things are coming around and it's time to give the guy a break. Why does every guy on KFAN have to go out of there way to continue to make Gopher cracks, give the guy a chance and then they'll all come around. Clearly the talent has improved, and he's figuring out how to be the guy - let it continue and it could be fun in 2010! I'm booking my room in Pasedena if we beat the Buckeyes in 3 weeks.

Sorry for the ramble, just too jacked to go to bed right now - god damn it's fun to be winning again!

Have a good night fellas - enjoy the NFL tomorrow, maybe I can get 2 more wins to not completely kill my win % for the week! (might be a record for ! in this post)!

No comments:

Post a Comment