Thursday, September 11, 2008

Week 3 is here - finally some real games!

Another week of bad picks and painful losses is upon us starting tonight with an intriguing UNC-RUT battle on ESPN. Tough call on this one, I like NC better than RUT, but I think I'm going back to my "never bet against the home team on Thursday night" mantra. I'll take RUT -4.5, but it's not one of my picks for the week.

The totally under the radar game for the week is the battle between KAN and USF. Two teams w/ BCS aspirations on Nat'l TV Friday night. I've been touting USF all year as the real deal and a Big East champ, so I think they prove it tonight vs. KAN. The Jayhawks are crushing thus far, just like '07 - and USF had a giant struggle last week at UCF. But I'm rolling with my original pick of USF to cover the 3.5 (27-20).

In my LOCK of the CENTURY for this week...I LOVE Cal at Maryland -13...check this season out for MD and big Ralph - 14-7 over Delaware in Week1, scary but maybe just opening night jitters right...week2 lose 14-24 at Mid TN - hmmm, I guess Maryland just really sucks. Cal, notorious for their quick starts, will crush. I like 45-10 beat down.

In lock of the century #2 ARIZONA -10 at NM...okay, NM is 0-2 losing twice at home to TCU and a brutal A&M team, AZ has scored a ton of points and will roll again 38-14

Other thoughts:
GT impressed me LW, and should easily cover at a ZERO offense team like VT
Sadly, I have to pick Becky to win at Fresno - running game will be too much
Still love my AUB squad...think they roll at MISSST this week.
ECU trap game alert - Tulane outplayed ALA LW, and they may stun an ECU team due for a major letdown after two giant home wins to start the season.
Mich-ND, totally irrelevant game that's off the radar of most everyone this week, but I see it like this...MICH = no OFF, nice DEF; ND = no OFF, no DEF...MICH wins.

GAME OF THE WEEK
OHIOST-USC
I think you have to take the points and go with the Buckeyes this week. They have a better defense, and if Wells is healthy they can move the ball. USC was VERY impressive in the opener, is coming off of a bye week, and is loaded at every position once again. But looking at past "game of the year" non-conference matchups i.e. OHIOST at TEXAS, and TEXAS at OHIOST - the road team comes out and plays better than expected and usually wins. I am picking USC to win 24-17, but hopefully it will be a fun one to watch and live up to the hype.

GOPHERS PREVEIW vs. Montana State
Well, coming off a giant victory for the program, you'd think a let down would be in order. The Bennett injury sucks, but I do like our depth at the position - but we're young. That's why this game fits in to the schedule at such a great time for this team. I expect Brew's Crew to roll out at least 3 different backs (lookout for freshman Kevin Whaley who, after recovering from a gunshot wound, appears to finally be healthy and might be the #1 back come B10 time). I'm really hoping to see some of the young WR's this week - we need a route game to develop some of this depth before the real games start. I think some of them will impress and prove to Brew that they deserve time with the 1st team. Defense will hopefully continue to show signs of improvement by limiting MtST and playing well with a lead. Bottom line, I think they are confident and relaxed and finally figured out how to win some games...Gopehrs in a laugher 55-17.

NFL quick thoughts - Vikes win this week, maybe. GB -3 at DET...are you kidding me? TEN at CIN in the 1st Annual Dysfunctional Bowl - team with least suicide attempts will win. CHI is not for real, CAR will show that this weekend. I like NYJ over NE this week. Cassell - not sold, Favre - lives for games like this. He might move ahead of Joe Willie for NYJ fans with a win this week and a win at SD next week. Also like DAL to easily cover the 7 at home vs. Eagles - MK jumped off the Cowboy train too early, they are the real deal and definitely the favorite to win the super bowl right now.

Later Guys - enjoy the weekend.

One last thing...VEGAS COUNTDOWN...29 days and counting...only 4 more weeks of games to analyze before we're doing it for real!

No comments:

Post a Comment