Monday, September 10, 2012

Week 2 - MNF Update

2 men remain alive for the title of Week 2 Champ heading into the MNF double header tonight.

 SCENARIO 1
Bomb wins with a BAL cover or tie (-6) in game 1 of the double header.
SCENARIO 2
Hammer stays alive with a CIN cover in game 1, and would have to sweat out the late nighter and SD -1 at OAK to try and take home the cash for Week 2. If both the Bengals and Chargers don't cover, then Bomb will be our Week 2 champion.

I'll send out the complete recap tomorrow along with updated standings for the season and Week 3 lines.

RIGHT & WRONG

Here's a quick breakdown of where I was good and where I was bad in regards to the preview picks for this week:

NFL
RIGHT
STL - should have beat the Kittys, but still held on for a cover. Call your friends who had DET in a suicide yesterday and make sure they survived the dreaded 1 and done in their pool.
PHI - I knew they would be flakey as an 8 point road fav but didn't have the balls to pick CLE. 1/2 credit I guess on this one.
SF/GB - I knew the 49ers would be able to put the clamps down on the high powered Paaacker offense, but I didn't expect the 49ers offense to play so well.
TB - loved this game all week, and it played out pretty much as expected. Cam was over hyped and the TB D was underrated once again. Along with my guy Josh Freeman doing just enough to pull out a win.

WRONG
IND - liked what IND offense could do but forgot to consider that the main reason they were terrible last season was that D. Playing against a really good looking Bears offense was not considered in my +9 Indy pick, and that's why it wasn't close.
RG3 - wow. Maybe I'm wrong about this guy. Winning your first career game impressively at NO, which is a top 3 toughest place in the league to play, is very impressive. Not sold yet, but I'll be watching a lot closer next week.
BUF - hated my pick about mid day on Sunday as I read/heard everyone else jumping on BUF as well. NYJ were getting no respect and needed this one way more than BUF did. I still expect BUF to have a better season, but for Sunday I was very much on the wrong side.
PIT - they were lacking a bunch of players due to injury, which I didn't realize. But they just got outplayed. DEN is a tough place to win, but I was surprised at how well the DEN D played. Peyton looked like he hadn't missed a beat - DEN could be team to beat in west.


NCAA
RIGHT
IOWA - that was a tough game to watch. If ISU had a clue they could have scored 2-3 more TD's and made it a laugher. Even with all of the breaks Iowa received, that offense was sooooo inept that they couldn't even see the endzone. The offense looks uncreative and slow...and I love it.
WIS - my friends to the south looked awful, but I think my friends to the east take the cake for worst performance of the week. What the hell happened to this Baaaadger club? They can't run, they can't pass, they can't really do much of anything. The always calm and collected Bert Bielema is preaching patience and stay the course....errr, wait, how about Bert's quick reaction on firing brand new OL coach only 2 games into the season!! Wow...panic button engaged!!
MN - the Gophs actually impressed me and played even better than I had hoped on Saturday. Defensively dominant throughout the game - running the ball at will, and throwing it better than last Thursday. The end results was as comfortable of a win as I have experienced in quite some time with this team. Good stuff.
FLA - this one played out as I expected with the Gators surviving the early rush from the up tempo Aggies and leaning on their D and running game to win it when it counted.
LSU/WASH - what a beatdown. Maybe Sark would be better off saving the theatrics and animal importing for weeks where they play a team that isn't LSU.

WRONG
AUB/MISS ST - AUB offensively seems to be awful. I didn't watch much of their opener and assumed they could put some points on the board. Well, looks like I was wrong. MISST and TE Timmy are undefeated and beat someone from the SEC West not named Ole Miss for the first time in forever.
UCLA - Husker nation couldn't keep up with the Bruins on Saturday night. I thought it might be a scary game, but the athletic ability that UCLA showed on offense was impressive. I knew they had the athletes, always have, but it appears as if Mora is finding the right way to utilize that speed and win some games in LA. NEB wrapped up an awful showing for the B1G in week 2.
GEO - they put the gas down in the 4th quarter and showed MIZZOU what it's like to play SEC football vs. cruising against KAN and TT every week. GEO D went on lock down and the potent offense started to light it up late to help the Dogs put MIZZOU in the cellar to start the SEC season.


All in all it was quite possibly one of the most fun weekends of football in recent memory. Gophers impress and house a bad team for the first time in forever. Iowa and Becky look completely awful and lose a non conference game. Purple looks shaky, but actually doesn't lose a close game in the end, and GB goes down to the 49ers at home. If the next 20 weeks resemble anything close to this, it's going to be a really fun year in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment