Thursday, October 20, 2011

Week 8 Preview - SPARTY....YES!


Biggest game of the weekend? Probably not, but best chance to end this Becky nightmare...probably, until NOV 12th.

First, here's the complete list of picks:

JR: GT OKST KAN LOU ND TOL WASH ULL NTEX NYJ DET CAR TB TEN MIN


JG: GT MN NW OKST KAN AZ COL AUB TN CLE WAS DEN PIT OAK DAL

MR: FSU IOWA NEB WIS OKST OK ND BOISE ORE ARK NYJ TB ATL MIA GB

AW: MIA WIS MN RUT WV BOISE AZ CAL CHI ATL PIT OAK MIN SD HOU

GR: WIS NEB ILL OK A&M HOU ARK AUB ALA PIT OAK TB GB DAL DET

MH: GT CLEM WIS NEB ILL NW IND BOISE OREST ARK GB CHI ATL HOU CAR

MC: BC IND MN TT NM AF COL AUB TN NMST ATL MIN STL IND JAC

SS: OK KAN LOU USF EMU BOISE CAL USC STAN ATL PIT TB DAL SD TEN

RO: WIS NEB PSU A&M MIZZ SOMISS BOISE AUB ALA PIT TB GB DET NYJ CLE

TN: GT CLEM IND MN MSU A&M ND WASH AUB ARK GB DET TEN CAR BAL

MT: BC NC WIS OK OKST AF AUB ARK SD MIN STL IND JAC CHI ARI

GT: CLEM VT WIS NEB OKST BOISE UCLA ALA JAC GB TEN PIT DEN SEA NO

MS: x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

CP: WIS MN PSU PUR BALLST BOISE UCLA CAL USC LSU DEN SD BAL TB OAK

LW: WIS NEB OK BOISE USC SD BAL OAK PIT MIN STL IND CLE HOU MIA

JH: CLEM WIS NEB PSU ILL KST HOU UCLA ALA BAL OAK PIT MIN HOU NO

MO: GT WIS OKST RUT HOU TCU USC STAN ALA PIT MIN HOU SD TB CAR

ALMOST EVERYONE LOVES...
OKST
ARK
BOISE
AUB
WIS

PIT
OAK

Not nearly as many "sure things" this week according to our group.

SOLOIST ON A SOLO LIST
RO-MIZZ
AW-MIA
CP-LSU
TN-SPARTY!
MC-TT

MT-ARI

Once again, a much smaller list in the me against the world type bets.

GAMES THAT MATTER
These matter to me for one reason or another, so here's what I expect to happen.

First, the 2 THUR games - these always matter because it's the only thing on!!

UCF -15 at UAB - I think UAB is a wreck. UCF coming off a few bad performances and they should be able to crush the Blazers tonight.

UCLA +4 at ARI - As long as the Cats don't decide to try an win one for the gipper with the new interim guy, I think the Bruins are a better club and will take advantage of a porous ARI defense to easily cover this one.

IND +22 at IOWA - Iowa seems to struggle with the Who-siers every year. How is Iowa 3+ TD's better than anyone right now? They are very average on both sides of the ball, which I don't think most of the country realizes at this point. IND is bad, we know that, but I'll give them a chance this week coming off the Becky beatdown from their last game.

WF-DUKE OVER 59.5 - this is a lock, play it. The last 4 years they've been well over 60 every time, why would this year be different?

GT+3 at MIA - Paul Johnson off a loss is a dangerous thing. MIA is not as good as GT even though the oddsmakers are labeling these 2 teams as equals. This looks tasty for the Jackets.

NAVY -10 vs. ECU - I think NAVY rebounds after a lot of poor performances and routes an undisciplined ECU team by 3 TD's. ECU is pathetic this year and NAVY is due...right JG?

AUB +22 at LSU - LSU suspension have taken this one off the board at a lot of locations, but not the Football Challenge! Lots of AUB love this week, and I have to go along with it. A new QB is a frightening thing against the Tigers on the Bayou, but AUB isn't nearly as bad as I expected this season and they could make it a fight.

ND -7.5 vs. USC - I think the Trojans are overrated. My belief is the oddsmakers set this at 7.5 to try and entice some of us to jump on the Trojans assuming this game will be close. Actually, I think the Irish crush in this one and win by 14-20 pts.

WASH +20 at STAN - I still don't think STAN is as good as they've looked thus far. WASH can score some points, so getting 20 in this one seems like a lot. Both of these teams have been good bets this year, but I have to think WASH gives STAN their first minor scare and keeps it within 2 scores.

MSU +7.5 vs. WIS - I should never bet IOWA, WIS, or MN games...it gets too emotional. I somehow was able to lay off of this one in Week 8, but I like Sparty. Now the question is, do I like them logically or am I just praying for a Becky loss to bring back some sanity to the NCAAF world. Here's my case, WIS is playing their 1st road game...it's OCT 22 and they haven't seen the road yet!?!? WTF!?!? So we have that, you also have statistically the best D in the nation getting more than a TD at home. These 2 have played very tight games each of the last 4 years, so why wouldn't it happen again? GO SPARTY!!

NEB-25 at MN - I can't with a good conscience pick the Maroon and Gold this week. I know the line has actually moved in our favor, and NEB really isn't that great this year, but our club looks hopeless. How about this stat...defensively, MN and NEB are about equal. Wow, blackshirts? Anyone? Buehler? Offensively, we are challenged quite a bit so I don't like our odds to score more than 3 times. So how do the Gophers surprise me and cover? Turnovers...we never force them, but Martinez likes to throw them so we have a chance there. Run the ball...once again, we haven't done it very well this year, but maybe we figured it out in the BYE week. I really don't think we'll get run off the field, but this shouldn't be close...NEB 49 MN 17.

On to the professionals...

SD-NYJ: Jets seem like an obvious play to me in this one. SD always seems to be overrated, so I'll go with NYJ.
SEA-CLE: Epic battle that 14 people will be watching this weekend...I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'll go T-Jackalacka on the road. CLE is bad and has burned me multiple times this year. Kill them with fire.
ATL-DET: Lions on the rebound are the play...ATL is not very good, this just in. Only QB who didn't torch a brutal Packers secondary this year...Maaaatttt Ryan.

WAS-CAR: John Beck starting, huh...take CAR. They aren't bad and they need a win.
CHI-TB: This game is in London, CHI is team turmoil right now, I like TB.
DEN-MIA: Before you pick this one, remember this moment...

Then ask yourself...can I bet on this man as my QB in a real life NFL game against anyone? The correct answer is NO. Take the Fins.
HOU-TEN: I LOVE TEN this week. HOU is banged up, TEN is off a BYE and a nasty tough team. TEN wins and covers.
PIT-ARI: Vegas trap line, PIT only -4 at ARI...well, Cards off a BYE with Whisenhunt's Steeler knowledge, PIT looking ahead to NE and BAL the next 2 weeks, yuck. Stay away, stay far away...I'll pick PIT because I have to but it will be very close.
KC-OAK: So Carson Palmer is starting after being acquired yesterday? That seems odd. KC is riding a 2 game win streak and off a BYE and seeking revenge for 2 L's last year...I like KC and points.
STL-DAL: Bradford is playing, DAL is laying 12 while playing every game this year within 1 score...hmmmm, I think STL.
IND-NO: Huge line, but my god IND has to be ready to throw the towle pretty soon. I hate it, but I'll go NO.
BAL-JAC: The Jags hosting MNF? Why ESPN, why? Doesn't seem like a good spot for the Jaguars, so I'll say BAL eeks this one out by 13.

GB at PURPLE +10.5
10.5 at the dome with a new QB. This number on pure principal alone seems insanely high. I know we've been terrible and the Pack are the greatest show in the world, BUT I don't see this one getting ugly. Call me a homer, but I think after the ass-beating we took last week at CHI, the team is going to show up and give it a run on Sunday. The Packer D is not that strong, obviously, they do have a great offense - but I think you can score on these guys. Ponder, well, I hope he stays upright and makes a couple spectacular plays to keep it interesting. And I think he will, once again, I really like this guy and hopefully he'll be the talk of the town by the time NBC SNF is ready to start. I don't think we can win, but I'll say PURPLE 20 PACK 27.


Just to warn you, once the festivities are over on Saturday it will officially be HATE WEEK...I can smell them already...

Good Luck to you all this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment