Tuesday, June 30, 2009

BIG TEN PREVIEW - 3rd attempt!

Hopefully, the 3rd time will be the charm with this thing. I guess the blog was having issues last week, so we'll see what happens.

#1 PENN ST. PR - 8
Still the team to beat in the B10, but they will not be nearly as dominant as 2008. Clark is back at QB, and he's solid. However, only 2 OL return, which could be a very big issue. This moves the offense down from 40 ppg to about 33 in my mind. On defense, they only allowed 12 ppg in 2008. 2 DL and 2 LB return, so the D should not fall off that much, but I think they fall to about 17 ppg, still very good. The schedule is very managable, OSU is in Happy Valley so they get the nod over tOSU. At Sparty and at NW could be pesky...as well as hosting the Gophs on the always dangerous VEGAS WEEK...but overall, my numbers call for an undefeated season. However, I don't expect this to happen, so I'll say (11-1) because they are not elite.

#2 OHIO ST PR - 8
The 2nd coming of Christ is back for year 2 at QB, hopefully he knows how to throw this season. My bet is he will - and the offense will improve. They only averaged a pedestrian 28 ppg last year, so Pryor's improvement along with 3 returning OL move them up a FG to about 31 ppg. On D, they lost a couple of anchors in the LB core. 3 DL return and only 1 LB, but obviously the talent cupboard is not bare. They will be fine, but down a bit to about 17 ppg from the 13 ppg of 2008. The main reason they are the runner-up this year is the schedule...USC and at PSU will be very difficult. I bet they lose both and go (10-2).

#3 IOWA PR - 7.5
This team is going to be solid, and I hate to say that...but there are holes and potentially large indidcators that it will not be all peachy in hick ville this year. Stanzi is back, and he's fine at QB...but there is absolutlely nothing behind him, like not even a T-Mort caliber backup. (Strategy #1 - hurt Stanzi = IOWA LOSS). They return 3 OL, so as long as the QB stays healthy they should be about the same as 2008 on offense at 30 ppg. On D, 5 of the front 7 return. All 3 LB's are back, but they lose both DT's...which could also be an issue. They gave up a ridiculous 13 ppg in 2008 - this will not be repeated. I'll say this moves to about 18 ppg, and puts them just a notch below the elite in the B10. However, the toughest thing for the Hogeyes will be the slate of games. At PSU, at OSU, at MSU...should all be losses, the pesky Cyclone game is also probably due for an upset...so I'll say (8-4).

#4 MICHIGAN ST. - PR - 7
I'm not 100% sold that this team is ready to join the elite in the conference just yet. They really weren't that impressive last year at 26-22 ppg. for a +4 ptdiff. Sparty will be breaking in a new QB, likely sophomore Nichol and only 3 OL return to a very average group. With these 2 indicators, I'll say the offense is = to down a bit. On D only 2 return up front, and 3 LB's come back. Dantonio is a defense guy, so the D will likely continue its improvement. The schedule has a lot of toss-ups on it: at ND, at ILL, IOWA, at MN, NW all could go either way. They also host PSU in the finale. My bet is that they find a way to lose quite a few of these as well as one or two they probably shouldn't...(8-4).

#5 NORTHWESTERN - PR - 7
Pat Fitzgerald can coach, but this club is still too short on talent to be elite. Mike Kafka returns as the starter at QB this year. I still am not sold on this guy - so I'll say he's a downgrade to Bacher. 4 OL return which is good, but the talent level isn't that great. I'll say the offense is down a notch to about 23 ppg. The big change LY was the defense that allowed only 19 ppg. 4 of the front 7 come back, 2 DL and 2 LB. However, I think they still perform well and move to about 21 ppg. I see 4 for sure losses on the schedule, and possibly more if Kafka blows...but I'll say (8-4).

#6 ILLINOIS - PR - 6.5
The Illini are the popular sleeper pick this year in the conference. Let me tell you why I think a lot of people are wrong...they gave up 27 ppg last year, 3rd worst in the B10. Guess who's coming back from that unit? 1 DL and 1 LB...yikes. On offense, Juice returns, as do 3 mediocre OL - but they have a new OC with a different system, which cannot be ignored. I'll say the offense is the same to slightly improved, and the defense might actually be worse. Zook still sucks as a coach, so I'll give Illinois a (7-5) prediction this year.

#7 MINNESOTA - PR - 6.5
Our Maroon and Gold come in a little lower than I initially thought, but it's a tough run this year for the team. The schedule is infinitely tougher than last year, but the team is better. Weber returns with 4 OL - loaded up front for the new scheme the OC Fisch will bring. The offense will improve to at least an average 27 ppg. On D, 5 of the front 7 are back, and another new DC is in place. I'll say this unit drops a bit as well to keep the team on about the same level as last year overall. My numbers call for 5 or 6 losses, I'll go optimistic (shocker) and say (7-5).

#8 MICHIGAN - PR - 6.5
DickRod is back for year 2, who's excited? They should be much improved, but still not back to "Meeeshigan" level. 5 OL return to an outstanding unit, but they will likely be starting a true freshman at QB...even so, they will not score 20 ppg again. I expect an average of 27. On defense, they gave up 29 ppg in 2008. Wow, bad numbers for anyone let alone the mighty Michigan. 4 of the front 7 are back, only 1 DL...but Greg Robinson comes over from the 'Cuse to help out the D. I bet they improve, but they will not be elite. If they get by ND the hype will be there for a 4-0 club...but I have them potentially losing 6 of the final 8. I'll say (7-5).

#9 WISCONSIN - PR - 6
This could be the final nail in the coffin of BB. Probably starting a freshman at QB, 2 OL return...offense might be down a bit. On a bad defense that allowed 25 ppg last season, Becky will only return 2 of the front 7, 1 DL and 1 LB. This unit will likely continue the downward trend that we have all been enjoying throught BB's tenure. I have them at only 1-2 B10 wins, and a barely bowl eligible (6-6) overall. Good times!!

#10 INDIANA - PR - 5.5
Surprise - they aren't in the cellar! This might come as a shock to some, but I like this squad more than #11, their in state neighbor. 4 OL return to a surprisingly good unit. They have Chappell, a Jr. QB with some experience. The D returns 5 of the front 7, and can only improve on the 35 ppg allowed in 2008. I'll sat they beat the Boilers and go (3-9).

#11 PURDUE - PR - 5
Danny Hope takes over a tough situation. A new QB, Elliot, is a senior but has ridden pine his whole career. 4 OL return, but not a lot of talent is there. 2 DL and 2 LB are back, but a brand new system on each side leaves me skeptical. Nord is the new OC from FAU - the Gophs crushed his pathetic offense last year. Hope got his DC, Landholm, from Eastern Kentucky...hmmm. For me, it all comes together to equal a (1-11) campaign from the Boilers.


There you go - thoughts? Am I way off? Any ideas?

Let me know what you think.

Later Guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment