Monday, June 1, 2009

Weekend Notes




The weekend is over, as is the dream for your Gopher baseball squad. LSU is good, we made a nice comeback to get into the final, but it wasn't meant to be once again. But there were some fun thing that happened over the weekend.


Jim Tressel and his club were embarassed 24-6 against GEO and 37-6 vs. Bobby Bowden and the Noles yesterday. Wait...it's June...this isn't football. Yep - that was THE Ohio State baseball club giving up 37 to FSU yesterday...somewhere I know Mr. Kobow is smiling and laughing hysterically right now. He's a closet OSU fan, but he pretends to hate them.


I was reading CFN this morning and they posed this question...which current coach do you pick if you had to win one game? The sharp guys threw out the obvious names...Meyer, Carroll, even Tressell. Then we get down to Jim who runs a site called Hawkeyenation.com - who do you think this d-bag selects out of all the coaches in the country?


"Well, with talent being equal I'd take Kirk Ferentz - he's done more with less talent than anyone." Are you kidding me? I'll give it to you that the guy can coach, but out of anyone in the country to win one game you pick Mr. Ferentz from Iowa?!?! Ok. Not Urban Meyer who has won 2 Nat'l Titles in 3 years - not Pete Carroll who has won the P10 10 years in a row and is the BEST big game coach around. I can't believe CFN would include this douche in their roundtable when it's quite obvious that he, like all Iowa backers, is too much of a homer to make any logical conclusions. This guy should be removed immediately and replaced with James from MN, who would have easily answered this one with the correct answer...Pete Carroll.


Listening to PA this morning...Cheech Harvin will win ROY. God - this guy gets a little old with his Viking blabber sometimes. Seriously, he's gone through one minicamp and he's ROY now?!? I hope he does well too, and I do cheer for the Purple - but come on PA. Picking Harvin as ROY is basically saying he will have Moss-like impact, which I just can't see happening. It almost always goes to a RB/QB depending on who gets a chance. WR's just don't win this award very often - and I definitely couldn't predict Harvin as the winner after one mini-camp, injury concerns, and weed issues.


Did you know Colt McCoy completed 78% of his passes last season? Do you realize how ridiculous that is. I haven't come up with any official predictions yet, but he's my Heisman lean right now just because Bradford and Tebow will not win 2, so he's the last of the current Big 3 to get one.


Since we started with Gopher Baseball, we will also close with a tidbit I found out recently. My old roomie David Roach, who I think many of you knew during college, is not an accountant anymore. Roach went back to FLA and according to my mom (probably over-hyped by her and Sally Roach) but he is Asst. AD at USF. Yes - that USF, the D1 program. If it's true, nice work. Just a little known fact that I thought was relevent to a College football blog. So when we're cheering for or against USF this year depending on where your money lies, remember Mr. Roach and blame him for what happens.


I will be posting my much anticipated "HOW TO BET ON NCAA FOOTBALL" post this week. It might be multiple parts - and it may be a little lengthy...but it's 5 months in the making.


Other than that, I'm actually working all week and getting ready to raid the big city of Rochester this weekend. JG - the Roe's and Rollins' are coming sans children - it could be ugly. See you then!


One other quick note - VEGAS 2009 is starting to be top of mind for me. I looked at current pricing for the same package we went with last year, and it's looking cheaper, by about $100/guy right now. I'm thinking it should hold close to that - but I might think about locking in early so let's start discussing it this weekend.


Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment