Wednesday, June 24, 2009

NBA Draft - Cleaning House

Well, the draft hype has officially started as of last night. Woofies send Foye and Miller to WASH for basically the #5 pick. Lots of mixed reviews throughout the network about if this was the right move or not, but it's shaking things up and gives us unlimited options for tomorrow night...so i have to say I'm probably on board.

Foye wasn't bad, and I would have loved him as the instant offense 6th man on a competitor...especially with his level of play in Q4. But to label him as our starting 1 and expect him to handle that job was a joke. He's not a PG...he's a very short off-guard, that's it. I can't say that I like getting rid of him, but if it took this to make the deal then why not (assuming we don't completly F up tomorrow night, which I'm more positive about than I have been at any time the last 10 years).

Miller, we barely knew ya. He was so excited to be "home" for last year that he forgot how to shoot. He didn't have a good year, let's face it. PA brought up the point that he seems to be a guy who puts up numbers on bad teams at bad times...never a big game guy, never on a contender. I am 110% on board with this one - the guy was brought in to shoot the 3, but he couldn't shoot. So from my point of view, if you can parlay that into anything of value, then do it.

Now the biggest question, when you only have 2 actual players (Love, Al) and 4, yes 4! 1st round picks...what do you do?

Options:
1) Stand pat, pick 4 guys - find your new starting backcourt and some wings with a chance
This option seems very unlikely - you're not going to pay guaranteed money to 4 guys in one year...just doesn't happen.
2) Send one of the higher picks and one of the lower picks to move up and grab someone you love.
This seems the most likely. Personally, I would stay a long, long ways away from Mr. Thabeet...looks like a scary bust to me. Rubio, who knows? But it would create some excitement.
3) Send away some of the picks for proven players.
This is probably my preferred option. I know it's a rebuilding year, that's undeniable. However, you can't start a rookie backcourt with Al, Love, and Tree Rollins and expect to be an improving club...even for next year. They NEED to find 1-3 players that are vets and can help some of these young guys along. Hinrich is a nice fit, I havne't heard a lot of other names mentioned, but I think dumping some of the lower picks or some of our expiring players for next year would be a great move and probably a very possible move for some teams looking for $'s for 2010.

Who do you guys like for our picks?

It sounds like they love Tyreke Evans - I like what I've seen from him and would have no problem with this pick. I also think James Harden could be a solid scorer for a long time in the league. Thabeet scares the crap out of me - I can't see him being good. Rubio, might be exciting, I feel like I haven't seen enough to make a good call on this guy - but people really talk him up as a big-time playmaker. Johnny Flynn is a nice PG, I also kind of like Eric Mayor from VCU.

No matter how you slice it, we have 2 guys that will for sure be on this roster next year...Love and Big Al. So we need about 10 guys to fill in somewhere and find a couple of guards for the future, not to mention a true center or 2 to help on defense and some wing players with a pulse. Brewer could still turn out okay - Bassy will be back as a #2 PG, which isn't terrible. But off the top of my head, I really don't think I could come up with another for sure player on next year's team...Gomes maybe?

Anyway - should be a fun night, they only fun one we get each year when you suck like our club does! Hope you guys are watching - I'll be glued to it all night with the kids in the basement, talk to you as we go...I'm sure it will be controversial like it is every year (even without McHale running the show.)

Something to look forward to tomorrow for your reading pleasure...BIG 10 PREVIEW 2009 - hope there aren't a lot of Badger fans out there, cause it doesn't look good!

A couple other notes - start times announced for the pre-season games, SYR 11am ESPN2, CAL 11am ESPN/ESPN2, AF 6pm - knew this one. I love getting CAL in the early morning...9am internal clock for those fellas, could be our best chance of pulling the upset.

Closing it out with PJ -

I had a false belief
I thought I came here to stay
We're all just visiting
All just breaking like waves
The oceans made me, but who came up with love?
Push me, pull me, push me, or pull me out
Push me, pull me, or pull me out

No comments:

Post a Comment