Thursday, August 19, 2010

2 weeks away! 5 thoughts for Thursday

 2 weeks from tonight...Gophers at MDTN, I'm feeling better and better about this game every day. They have Dasher at QB, lives off his speed...I think our fast LB's can neutralize this. They have some injuries on their OL, I think we'll be able to stop the running game. Tinsley is going to play, many thought he would be suspended for the opener, but Hacksaw is eligible. Basically, I'm marking it as a W already.

1. BYU
WTF are the Mormons doing? So they are finally legitimizing their MWC with the coming addition of BOISE and now they are bailing to become an independent? How does this make any sense? You finally have enough fire power to make your conference a potential auto qualifier for the BCS and you want to go run your own program? BYU is not ND, nobody cares about BYU. Who is going to want to play these guys? They are going to end up with 8 road games per year because good BCS teams are not going to go to Provo in the middle of the season when conference play is going on. This is insane.

2. MWC
I guess the MWC was really sad by their loss, as they added Fresno St. and Nevada within about 1 hour of hearing that BYU was leaving. Why couldn't the big conference hoopla shake out this fast? We had NEB to the B10 rumors flying for 2 months before anything finally happened. While BYU decides on a whim to leave and they are replaced instantly with 2 other teams. The funniest thing I read was that the MWC is really excited for the Fresno St - SD St rivalry and the UNLV - Nevada rivalry that will now be possible....really, that gets you excited? BYU is going to be sad that they left.

3. Tate Forcier
Rumors were around last night that he was requesting a transfer from DickRod and his program. Then about 30 minutes later there was a quote from his dad saying that it was comical and he wouldn't allow it. Wow, Dad throwing the hammer down on Tate's transfer, interesting. Obviously, there is something going on here and like I predicted 3 months ago, I don't think he'll be the starter in 2010. Denard Robinson is closer to Pat White than Tate is, and Pat White is the most perfect QB for this system that there has ever been. Michigan continues to be team turmoil. They also lost their star CB for the season this week - I'm really sad for them. I guess I am sad that we won't ever get to play a DickRod lead Wolverines team again...yeah, he's not going to last until 2011.

4. Alabama - ESPN Special
I watched this last night and it was great. I love the behind the scenes stuff that ESPN has been doing more and more with College Football, and this was about the best I've seen. Lots of stuff from the pre-season practices, lots of stuff with Saban, some interesting behind the scenes player stuff...just a good watch. I'd recommend it - it's ESPN so I'm sure they'll be replaying it 40 times over the next 3 weeks.

5. Twins
 5 games up with one more coming tonight. Isn't it fun to kick the Sox when they're down? I think a W tonight basically wraps this thing up. The question now becomes, what's the deal w/Morneau? It sounds more and more positive each day, but what does the club do when he returns? How can you possibly sit Kubel, Cuddy, or Thome right now? I get it that Thome was brought in as a PH, but he's raking right now and needs to be in the lineup. There aren't many holes in this lineup right now, but obviously Morneau will find a spot once he returns. This is the first year I feel like we actually have a lineup that can compete in the playoffs...but I still have a few doubts with the staff. All have had ups and downs lately, but hopefully the bullpen can remain strong because I think we'll have to win some slugfests in the playoffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment