Thursday, March 12, 2009

Nothing's gonna stop us now...

One down. Gophers triumph over an outmatched but gutty NW team this afternoon to all but lock up a berth in the Big Dance for Tubby Ball Year 2. Woo-hoo!!

12:00 date tomorrow with Sparticus...hmmm, don't like our chances here. Maybe they'll overlook us?

I think that will be a LOOOOONG lunch date tomorrow...involving beer and not going back to work. Anybody up for that?

In other news, Ivan Maisel has Brew's Crew ranked as the #3 team that is posied to make a big jump this year...I get goosebumps just writing that sentence and thinking about TCF and a 8-10 win season. F*ck March - is it September yet?

Gopher Puck - all indications are we need to win this weekend and get to the final of the WCHA tourney to lock down a tourney berth. Tough call - I don't have a pairwise rankigns PhD, so I guess I'll just hope to keep winning and make it an afterthought.


How about this - I read an article this morning talking about how Donny Lucia is on the hot seat if things continue to be mediocre this year. Wow, 2 Nat'l titles - then a run of 2-3 down years and now he's on the hot seat. I'm curious to see what you guys think of this. Obviously, it's like the ND, OHIOST, FLORIDA type of jobs in the football world so should we expect much more of the Gophers? Especially when you really have your pick of all the talent in MN and you can't even get into the NCAA tourney. I hadn't really thought of this, but I'm kind of on board with axeing Donny if/when this slide continues. I love the skill players he brings in, but they are in dire need of some tough defenseman, which Lucia apparently refuses to recruit. Some new life might be just what this club needs to get back on track. He's had a nice run of about 10ish years, but it might be time. Thoughts?

Also - I guess the Jay Cutler option might not be completely dead. Sounds like things have gotten even worse with the Broncos. My question to you is what are we willing to part with to get a franchise QB? Or maybe even better, what would you rather have...franchise QB, AP type RB, Moss type WR, Allen like DE, Ray Lewis type LB, Polamalu type S?

For me - I think QB rules all and there is no way around it. Regardless of what you want to do on offense, you have to have a great leader running the show. I know every one brings up the "game-manager" and the Trent Dilfer lead Ravens...but that was definitely the exception and not the rule. Look at the winning QB's the last few years: Ben, Eli, Peyton, Ben, Brady, Brady. Granted in 2001 and 2003 Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer won the title but that is non the way to do it. So basically, I think that if you are the Purple you give up whatever you possibly can in order to get Cutler, if you do - like I do - think he's a franchise QB who could be "the man" for the next 10 years.

Do I think it will happen...no - but I can dream.

PJ to close...for Tubby and crew from "I am Mine"

And the feeling, it gets left behind
All the innocence lost at one time
Significant, behind the eyes
There's no need to hide
We're safe tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment