Thursday, August 28, 2008

TREE's WEEKEND PREVIEW

Alrught fellas, the much anticipated 2008 season is finally upon us. I feel the need to share with you all what is going to happen this weekend before we all watch it. Please feel free to call me a moron when I'm wrong!

* GOPHERS 38 NIU 13
I think the Gophers offense comes in and rolls, much like it did last year without the turnovers. This is a game they can use their early energy to put it out of reach in the first half. NIU was 2-10 last year, everyone is back...but is that a good thing? They have a 1st year coach making his debut, and they have a terrible defense and they like to run the ball. So, we should have no problem scoring - Weber will go for 300+ and 3 scores, and I think (hope)our running game really gets going as well. As for the defense, stopping the run will stop the Huskies. I think we have the scheme and personnel in place to win the line of scrimmage and stop the run on Saturday. This will force them to throw, espeically if we can roll up some points early. Then the true test will happen - is our secondary that much improved? I think the answer is yes (maybe because it is, maybe because I'm an eternal Gopher optimist who dirnks the kool-aid daily). I'm expecting a huge play or two out of Sherals in the return game or on defense, and I think the Gophers get a lot of the young guys some time and cruise to an easy win and cover in week 1.

What else is going to happen...I'll tell you:
* SC will roll tonight, this team might be for real this year...not SEC title level, but top of Tier 2 in the SEC.
* HAW will cover the 33.5 vs. FLA, Gators are looking ahead to the Canes next week and resting A LOT of people with minor injuries. I don't think HAW will completely fall off the table without Brennan and Coach Jones, I like a sneaky cover at 41-10 Gators.
* Clemson will continue to get the hopes and dreams of their rabid fan base going with an easy win over Bama. Saban's crew is building to something great, just not in 2008. I still like Clemson to tank it later this year, but they will ride that pre-season hype to a nice victory in week 1...27-10.
* MIZZOU will look special and Illinois will look very average in the opener. The Illini will shoot themselves in the foot and miss Mendenhall and J Leman a lot more than they realize...Tigers win 31-14.
* Michigan 2008 offense looks like Gophers 2007 offense early in the season and lose to Utah. The Utes are experienced and the mormons don't get intimidated by the Big House - Michigan will play defense this year, but a lack of scoring will cost them earlty and often...UTES 24-13.
* FRESNO will start their run of preseason upsets by winning at SUNJ. Fresno, much like Utah is experienced and road tested. Rutgers will greatly miss the reliability of Ray Rice and I just don't think they were ever that good to begin with! Dogs win 30-20.

Those are the sure things I'll give you for this week. Always lots of good stories and info coming out of this first week of the season. I will provide game recaps on all games on the tracking spreadsheet, so if you missed something you can always go back to that and check it out.

Good Luck Fellas! Go Gophers!! Let's match 2007's win total in week 1!!

No comments:

Post a Comment