Wednesday, November 12, 2008

GOPHERS - BADGERS 2003 - BTN NOW!

So I'm working from home today, and I stumbled over to the B10 Network...I'm watching Gophers - Badgers 2003 (we win at the dome before getting beat at IOWA and winning a Bowl game for a 10 win season). Sometimes I forget about the prime of the Mason era...so I thought I'd remind you what we used to be:

Mason Interview - "our plan, like it was every game, was to come out and run the football."
- lucky for Glen, it worked in this game. But how ridiculous is this comment when you think about it. obviously, every team wants to run the ball, but I think Mase was one of the few that had to come out and try to do it right away regardless of what the defense was showing or what you would assume they had prepared for. another reason I'm glad he's not here any more.

Our defense in 2003 is insanely slow. We have no-namers all over the field (except for Butkus watch list candidate Ben West...who?) I forgot about how we used to give every WR a cushion like they were Moss in 1 on 1 coverage. Very marginally talented Sconny WR's catching balls without anyone else even in the picture. If Mason could have ever combined that unreal offensive team with anything even resembling a defense...what if.

Great quote - "the strength of the MN defense is the secondary"..."yes, they don't have a lot of speed, but they play together." wow. i guess that pretty much says it all right there. we're slow everywhere, but we try hard!

Great point by the legendary Jimmy Dykes (awesome name BTW) "MN doesn't recruit lineman over 300lbs. they want them to be athletic and be able to move around."
- sadly, these are the same guys we still have playing on our roster today - which is why Brew is recruiting a bunch of road-graters for his style of offense. The athletic lineman will be gone - give me the giants that don't allow anyone by them.

There are a lot of NFL players on this Gopher team - Utecht, Spaeth, Maroney, Barber, Montgomery, Eslinger, Tapeh, Setterstrom...not a bad squad.

Question - who played QB in the 2nd half after Asad gets hurt?....I know you're thinking probably T-Mort...wrong. The corect answer is the great Benji Kamrath!!

2003 was the first 10 win season for MN since 1905, when the Gophers beat 2 HS teams...sadly, these 2 HS teams might have been better than some of teams Mason scheudled!

Asad is kind of slow. I always remeber him being a speed guy - but he's really not that fast. GOPHERS get a 24-6 lead, but have to hold on to win 42-35...typical.

How come WIS always plays close with us at home, but I can't remeber the last time we even played a decent game in Beckyville?

Wow - BOOKER STANLEY!! that guy played forever in Beckyland. Jim Sorgi, funny stuff.

I'm still trying to find a way for the Gophers to win on Saturday. No Decker is not a good thing - but Brew has never played in Madison either. We know how Mase did - so it can't be any worse. I'm hoping we can find a way, but i don't think i'll hold my breath.

I'll stop boring you - just thought some of you might enjoy reliving a Gophers win with me over the Sorgi Badgers. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment