Thursday, September 25, 2008

Week 5 Preview

The conference schedules are finally here - enough of the Tennessee Tech's and Florida A&M's...it's time to figure out who the good teams are.

We'll start this week's preview with a wonderful quote from the soon to be retired left-hander Kent Mercker (I think this would be a nice mantra for VEGAS 2008), "I'm starting my new profession...turning vodka into urine." Who knew Kent was such an alcoholic?!?

Alright fellas, let's keep the hot streak alive...here we go:

It starts tonight with USC at OREST (+24)...I hate this line and this game. On one hand, you think USC rules, OSU has sucked - this should be an easy one. But the old "home dog on Thursday night" rule will come into play, and you have to think OSU with 24-0 lead at home...that's a good pick. MR and MK love the Trojans, JG took OREST...I stayed away. The Beavers will not win, but I lean toward JG on this one and think that they cover...USC 31-10.

MK and JR also took Loo-Ville on Friday night...UCONN can't throw and UL looked impressive last week...I like them at home.

B10
*MSU at IND - MK took the Hoosiers, nobody else touched it. I think IND is not good, and Sparty will continue to play well and house them 34-17.
*NW at IOWA - MR and MK like NW on the road. I'm not sold on either of these teams yet, so I'll take the points for NW...IOWA wins 24-23.
*WIS at MICH - this is the first time WIS has been favored over MICH...ever, yes really. I've seen a couple experts picking MICH, but I can't buy it...BECKY rolls in this one (according to JR and JG) 27-10.
*PUR at ND - MR and MK took PUR. I don't like either of these teams. PUR has lost a close one and won a close won, both at home. ND hasn't been impressive, but they have been lucky. Sadly, I am picking the Irish in this one...23-20.
*ILL at PENNST - I really don't like what I've seen from the Zookers this year, PSU is playing insanely well right now - this could be bad bad bad...33-14 (MK likes ILL, MR likes PSU)

We'll wait on the final, biggest B10 game of the week.

Other big games:
*NC at MIA - NC lost their QB last week and lost, MIA will crush this week vs. a no-offense Tar Heel team...17-3.
*TEN at AUB - TEN is going the wrong way in a hurry, AUB will be looking to stay in the SEC hunt...I really like AUB in this one at home...21-9.
*COL at FSU - this is in JAX, not sure what to think about either of these teams...when in doubt take the better defense at home...Noles win 13-6.
*TCU at OK - could be close, could be a route. Hate this game to pick - TCU plays D, but OK is scoring 55/game...hmmm, I'll take OK 28-10.
*ALA at GEO - two GREAT defenses, one good offense and one okay offense. Give me the Dawgs in the black uni's at home...20-10.
*VT-NEB - VT has squeaked out a couple of nice ACC wins the last 2 weeks and Tyrod Taylor actually looks like he could be solid as a QB...Huskers are unproven, if they can move the ball they should win...but they won't I'm calling for the upset here...VT 20-17 (for the 3rd week in a row they win by this score...may continue all season)

UPSET PICKS!! - here's where I see potential for the Dog to straight up win:
MARY over CLEM - I like a cover for sure
TEM over WMU - Temple at home is great (not really, but I'm not imressed w/WMU)
UCLA over FRESNO - I think the Bruins continue their unpredictability and show up big at home to beat a run down Fresno club.

LOCKS OF THE CENTURY (2-2 now after a nice rebound last week)
NM -3 at NMST...shouldn't be close
Bowling Green -3.5 at WY...BG is not bad, but WY really is.

In preparation for VEGAS here are a couple of locks on Teasers / Reverse Teasers:
Teasers Locks:
AUB +.5, GEO +.5, VT +14
Reverse Teasers:
WIS -13.5, MIA -14.5, Ball St -24

GOPHERS at An Ohio State University
Well, after looking at this game from many different sides I have concluded that the Gopehrs will not win on Saturday. Isn't it bizarre how we have gone from, can we beat BG, NILL, FAU to can we not only cover but straight up beat Ohio State? I can't buy in that much just yet. Love our chances against everyone else on the slate (except Becky), so maybe 6-2 in the B10. But OSU still has an unreal defense, which has slowed us down every time we play them...we can't score more than 21 points tops on Saturday. The Buckeyes and T.Pryor will probably make some mistakes and could have issues in the running game if Beanie truly isn't 100% yet, but you have to believe they will score at least 21 on us. Pryor, if he runs a lot, could be an absolute nightmare to defend for this club. They have a great O-line that should be able to run the ball a little, even though we are better against the run this year. Our young, beat up O-line will really struggle to protect Weber and run the ball and we will have to look elsewhere, because they will focus on locking up Decker. I want to believe, and if I'm wrong and this happens I might poop my pants, but I just can't see it...not yet at least. I'm calling for a Gophers loss to go to 4-1...An Ohio State 31 Gophers 13 - very tough line on this one...too unpredictable.

It is my 5 year wedding anniversary on Friday, so the Mrs. and I will be out and about all day missing all the wonderful NCAA action. I am going to DVR the game - and attempt to watch it later, but if something insanely good happens feel free to let me know.

Tough slate of NFL game this week as well. 3/4 of us picked the Vikes (not me) so they'll probably win again. 3 of us have DEN, 2 have SD, 2 have DAL (1 has WASH), 2 have PHI. We are 9-7 when more than one of us picks the same team...3-2 when 3 of us pick the same team.

VIKES at TITANS
D-fence! both sides try to play the same kind of game...it will be ugly football, lots of punts and running plays for 2 yards...yawn...but I can see the Purple moving to 2-0 under Commander Gus...9-6 Vikes Win!

Vegas preparation email will be sent next week detailing times, plans, etc...we're very close, only 2 weeks to go. Start saving your money - and be ready to turn vodka into urine like it's your job! (or Ron Diaz, whatever you prefer)

Later Guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment