Friday, December 30, 2011

Week 18 Preview & NYE Bowls

BAY just scored 3 more times while I turned my computer on. I hope you stayed up late and watched the Arena Bowl last night like I did. The lack of defense by those 2 teams was comical. Great offenses, yes...but seriously, anything less than 10 yards was like a loss for those teams last night. 17 TDs!! Ugly.

Alright. On to the important matters...$200 on the line in Week 18 + the total overall championship for the regular season. It could be a stressful Sunday.

PICKS
JR: MIA CAR HOU MIN BAL ATL KC OAK SEA NYG
JG: BAL SEA NYJ NO SF IND NE CHI DEN DAL
MR: BAL SEA NYJ SF NE CHI NYG PHI TEN PIT
AW: BAL NYJ CHI NYG DEN HOU DET JAC SD ARI
GR: BAL CHI NYG DEN NE PHI TEN NO ATL OAK
MH: BAL DEN HOU SD SEA IND DAL CAR MIN WAS
MC: HOU CAR WAS CHI JAC SF PIT MIA BUF TB
SS: JAC SF PIT BAL SD MIN NYG TEN NO DET
RO: JAC MIN NYG HOU CAR TB DEN SEA PHI NYJ
TN: MIN NYG CAR SF BAL TEN DET IND NE KC
MT: NYG CAR IND KC HOU TB WAS BUF ARI STL
GT: NYG IND BUF STL BAL DEN PHI NYJ NO GB
MS: BAL DEN NYJ NO GB HOU TB WAS ARI DAL
CP: HOU DAL IND KC NE SEA SD CHI MIA CIN
LW: IND NE DEN NYJ GB TB PHI CAR MIN SF
JH: NE GB PHI MIN SF HOU SD BAL NO NYG
MO: GB MIN HOU NYG IND NYJ TB CAR STL PIT

I have 42 as my number, still waiting on a number from a couple of guys - many of you sent in picks without a number this week, but I'll give a little leeway on that and let you get the number in by Sunday. I've received 15 numbers so far and NO DUPLICATES...how is that possible? We should have a clear cut winner this week.

Quick thoughts on NFL:

I think MIA beats NYJ. That team just feels like it's done to me. Rexy and his a-hole ways are starting to wear on that group. The defense is getting old and slow and San-Cheese is close to being on his way out. If they somehow sneak into the playoffs they could be dangerous, but I don't think they get there.

STL is +12 at home...DD dogs have not lost ATS at home this year. But I can't with a good conscience pick them to cover this one in a meaningful game for the 49ers. Although they don't score much, I don't think STL scores any.

IND-JAC might be the least watchable football game of the year. IND doesn't really want to win because they need Luck. JAC doesn't really want IND to lose because they don't want to play Luck for the next 12 years. A battle of 2 teams who don't want to win...should be fun.

I like HOU to show up and try to get the mojo going again before playoff time. They need to play a lot better than the last 2 weeks going into the playoffs. I also think they get a large emotional lift with Wade Phillips being back on the sideline. TEN has had all the chances to sneak in, but they just can't get over the hump. HOU ends their dream for sure this weekend.

I've been picking the Purple to win this week for about the last month. I thought it would be their only other win, until the miracle in DC last week. Bears are just done and have nothing to play for at all this week. Not that the Purple have a lot to play for, but I think they want to put up a good performance, win a division game, and win at home. That all counts for something.

BTW - the line we are using on the PIT-CLE line is PIT -7...most of us stayed away, but we have a few takers.

I'm one of the 2 on ATL this week to cover -14 on TB. I really think TB has just thrown the towel in on this season and ATL is looking to crush at home and get some momentum rolling into the playoffs. Especially if GB beats DET.

I took Orton in revenge mode over Tebow. I'm sure the NFL and Jesus will find a way to make Timmy TD win this thing, but DEN can't cover 3...at best they'll push it. Tebow wins by 1 as he kicks a 50 yard FG because their kicker is hurt.

I'm also only 1 of 2 on OAK. I think they got something rolling last week with the big OT win over KC. SD is eliminated, and we know how Norv's teams play without motivation...they don't.

Still riding the SEA train, they should have probably won last week, and they'll get it done this week. ARI is a smoke and mirrors squad.

Finally, you HAVE to like NYG on MNF. Home field, Romo banged up, rivalry game, crappy conditions...give me NYG all day in this one.

BOWL GAMES

GR and SS are our co-leaders at 11 points. JR, MC, RO, MO pulling up the rear at 7 points...which is still .500 and not bad at all. Everyone is doing pretty well so far. But it's time for some separation this weekend with 4 games today and 5 games tomorrow.

TULSA-BYU (-2.5)
4 on TULSA and 12 on Mormons. Tulsa backers include JR, LW, JH, MO. Why? Well, I don't know. Because I don't think BYU is very good I guess.

RUT-ISU (+1.5)
4 on RUT and 12 on ISU. RUT backers include JR, MR, MH, MC...I'm in the minority again. Really like RUT chances in this one, and it's a chance to pick again an Iowa school...no brainer.

WF-MISST (-7)
ZZZZZZ....zzzzzz....zzzzz. 8 guys on each, so it could be a big one, but really does anyone even care about either of these 2? No is the right answer.

IOWA-OK (-14)
6 guys blindly backing team Meth in this one. Their offense is one dimensional and that one dimension is now suspended...so they would be zero dimensional I guess. Honestly, if Stoops and OK give 2 shits about this one and show up at all after the OKST beatdown it should be over by halftime. OK 73 IOWA 5. Blacklisted Iowa backers include JG, AW, GR, MC, MT, GT....boooooo!!!! I'm going to be very excited to watch this one tonight after 20 cocktails. I hope their are some Hogeye fans to chat with at this wedding tonight.

Saturday Games

A&M-NW (+10)
5 on A&M and 11 on NW. Come on man, NW in a bowl game getting huge points...automatic for the people. Aggie fans include: AW, MH, RO, CP, MO.

UTAH-GT (-3.5)
6 on UTES and 10 on Tech. I went with UTAH simply for the "bet against the triple option with time to prepare for it" angle, which has worked the last few years. UTES fans include JR, MH, MC, RO, MT, GT.

UCLA-ILL (-2.5)
Probably the worst game of the entire bowl season. No interest from either side, 2 new coaches waiting to take over, 2 interims just putting in minimal time to close this thing out, 2 fan bases that don't care about this game at all. Fun. But it could be a big one for Bowl Pool impact as we have a good split with 9 on UCLA and 7 on ILL. I went with the fightin' Zookers one last time. JR, MR, AW, MC, SS, RO, LW are on Zook-less Zookers.

CIN-VAN (-2.5)
Early on this one seemed easy...VANDY no doubt. Excited to be there, CIN QB is hurt, SEC > everyone. But I actually think VAN is getting a little too much love in this one and decided to go with CIN. Collaros is going to play for CIN, which is huge. 7 guys in CIN and 9 on VAN. Bearcat backers include JR, MH, RO, GT, LW, JH, MO.

VIR-AUB (-1.5)
The grand finale of Saturday night. Only 4 on VIR and 12 on AUB. I am once again going against the mighty SEC in this one. I just think the whole AUB program has a funk to it right now...both coordinators are gone and their overall talent level is low this year. VIR is too pumped up to be in this game after a few too many down years in a row. I think they come out and play with AUB and win it in the end in a close one. VIR backers include: JR, GR, CP, MO.

Good Luck gentlemen! It should be a wild couple of days. My Sunday plan is couch, couch, and more couch...so I should be able to throw out updates after the early games and late games so you know where you are at all times. I'll probably provide too many updates as we go with a little running commentary because it's the biggest week of the year as far as weekly prize and overall title being decided on one day. Tons more Bowl Games coming on Monday, so we'll be previewing those as well.

Enjoy the NYE Holiday - Boomer....Sooner.....Boomer....Sooner!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment