Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Coordinator Search - Day 1

One day down...no hires.

But rumors are flying for one side of the ball. Not sure how legit these are, but I'm hearing a lot of Kevin Cosgrove for DC. He was the DC at Becky during their Rose Bowl runs in the late 90's early 00's, then went to NEB for the past 3 years before being fired after Pelini took over. NEB folks hated him...he constantly finsihed in the mid 50's for defensive rankings - which would be a giant upgrade from our 119th and 74th place finishes this year and last.

I'm skeptical at best - his son is on the staff already, which is why I think he's getting a lot of mention right away...but it doesn't feel right to me. I don't think Brew would hire a guy that was run out of a big school like NEB and getting death threats at HS football games while watching his kid play...not joking. It just doesn't seem like a good fit: unsuccessful with a traditionally big-time defense like NEB, so he can do well with the Gophs? Now he did do a little better in his B10 stint with WIS, but I'm not convinced this guy is the answer. I still think Brew goes out and hires a little more of an unknown for this spot and somebody higher profile for the OC job. I expected more info to be out on that today, but nothing really concrete as of yet.

On positive note on this guy Cosgrove, I hear he is a very good recruiter, which Brew obviously loves, and has a lot of ties in STL. It just so happens that it was confirmed today that a STUD 4-star RB Ronny Wingo Jr., who played in the ARMY AA Game last weekend, has picked the Gophers for his last visit on 1/16 over ALA. He is from STL...coincidence? hmmm...There have been rumors that Brew had a big 4-star RB silent verbal commitment already in his pocket...if it's Wingo I might poop myself. This guy is big and fast (6'3", 4.3)...think Beanie Wells size with better speed. Good times.

The search goes on...and BTW, no matter what happens with this I thought I'd start something since it is 2009.

TCF STADIUM COUNTDOWN
241 days until kick-off

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment